Macbook Pro + Tea = Woops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sword, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sword macrumors newbie

Long story short: I spilt a bit of tea on the keyboard of my almost one year old MBP Unibody 17" and somehow (!!!) the keyboard works perfectly but clicking on the trackpad is absolutely dead. The trackpad still recognizes every gesture I give it so it's not entirely dead.

As soon as I spilled the tea I shut the thing down, but thanks to the brilliant engineering of Apple I couldn't disconnect the battery. I immediately opened up the laptop and sopped up any drops I found inside of the computer and then let the thing dry for about 36 hours (even used a hairdryer on low for a while and then left it on top of an air conditioner all night).

So now I'm trying to figure out what exactly to do. I plan on taking it to an apple store as I have applecare, yet it is liquid damage.

Does anyone know from past experience if Apple would void my applecare protection because of this? Would it be a good idea to carefully take the laptop apart and cleanup any tea residue and then bring it to the genius bar and feign ignorance?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wouldn't matter, as liquid sensors don't feign ignorance.

3. sword thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah lol, that was the other reason to take it apart. I wanted to see if they were tripped.

4. sword thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience at all dealing with liquid damage on a Macbook that doesn't affect critical parts such as the logic board? I'm curious if Apple's policy is to discontinue the warranty on the computer as a whole or only on damaged parts. I'm assuming the former but hoping for the latter.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

once the liquid sensors are triggered, your warranty is voided

6. karohan macrumors 6502

Can liquid sensors ever be triggered by something that's not a spill (something accidental)? This is probably being naive, but like something as subtle as high humidity in the air and condensation, can this lead to the activation of the spill sensors?

7. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Humidity reaches well into the high 90% here and my senses have never been triggered so I think you are screwed. I'm sorry to hear about the troubles though.

8. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You know what you could do your could enable tap to click (by using an external mouse) to hold you over until you figure out what to do.

That stinks man. Good luck.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Apple Care is an extended warranty, not an insurance
    I would take it to the apple store where they can fix it properly, but your warranty is over

10. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Yikes!

The Apple Store is probably a good bet. Sometimes, Apple will quote a ridiculous rate of $1240 for any kind of liquid damage, but in some cases, they're able to just charge parts + labor for the components that were affected.

Fortunately, on your unibody Mac, the trackpad is a separate piece, so parts and labor should be around $150.

Let us know how it goes.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

YEah, thats an idea. And if you like tap-to-click you could just keep using it :D

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I also just got back to Japan from Cuba and none of my "liquid" sensors were triggered via humidity...