Macbook pro temp. 165+ F !?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by copperz, Sep 14, 2009.

1. copperz macrumors member

copperz

I just started using the aluminum MBP 15" and used to have 13 Macbook aluminum. and as far as i can tell the 13" did not get as hot as my 15" I just installed a fan and temp controller and even with running the fan higher then default os 10.6 temps reached 165 F:eek: I freaked out and cranked up the fan to 5000 RPM and temps dropped so far. So, How hot are these MBP supposed to get until it no longer safe?? And its not even close ot being where the MBP is: sitting in my office on a desk where its cold and i have to drink tea to stay warm.

What should i do call apple? Or is this normal?

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If 165 F is your idle temp with nothing running... then something is wrong. That is way too hot. Maybe one of your fans are not running? Right now where I am the room temp is 80 F and I've been doing some light work on my mbp and it's highest temp is 125 F.

Does the case feel warm? The case should feel close to hot at 165 F. If not, maybe you have a faulty temperature sensor...

I get temps like yours when I run handbrake with my fans at 5000 rpm.

3. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Yeah, If the temp is 165+F at idle then there is something wrong. I only get those temps when running PS or rendering something in iMovie. Sometimes hitting 180F when rendering in iMovie. That's when I have the fans cranked to 5800rpm so keep it around 140-165F. When doing normal things like surfing the net with Safari and listening to music with iTunes... my temps run about 122F on average with fan speed at 2000-2500rpm. So check your(I'm guessing SMCFanControl?) and see if both of your fans are running. I find that youtube tends to run my MBP hot as well. But you can check activity monitor and see if anything is heavily using CPU or something to cause the computer to run so hot.

-Tony

4. vant macrumors 65816

Something is very wrong. I'd bring it to apple as 70C temps are abnormal for idling. I recommend uninstalling all third party applications (if you are under warranty) and seeing if your laptop shuts down during use. If it does, repair time.

5. MasterDev macrumors 65816

If you can cook on it, I'd say call apple. Or you have yourself a nice expensive grill there...

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

My MBP 13" 2.26 GHz seems to run at around those temps. I installed smcFanControl and with the fan speed on full (6200 rpm) the lowest temp I get is about 49°C (120°F). At the default silent 2000 rpm it gets to about 62°C with the lid open and 68°C with lid closed.

This is with the power cord connected, FW800 connected to FW400 audio interface (not powered by MBP tho), Apple wired keyboard and MS mouse (mouse connected to kb) and 30" display connected via Mini-DP -> Displayport cable.

The open programs are Firefox, Gmail and Google Reader via Fluid, Linkinus and Path Finder. CPU usage at about 5-10%. Using SL 10.6.1, clean install.

It seems to be important to have some space behind the laptop hinge side edge or otherwise the fans will start running faster. I haven't noticed any performance problems except Spaces transitions aren't as smooth as they were in Leopard and the same goes for Expose when there are more windows open but I think most people are experiencing these and the 30" display surely has some effect too.

I'll see if there is a difference when I use the laptop at work on a more spacious desk but smaller external display and cooler room.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

My 15"'s top fan speed is only 5700 RPM:confused:

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Good grills are way more expensive than a mac lol

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

It has two fans instead of one though. So probably a slightly different fan model.

10. copperz thread starter macrumors member

copperz

Yes, i have smc fan control. Running Entourage, firefox, and finder. Yes the case gets hot smc says both fans running. it was a 10.6 clean install. Not sure if i should call apple what you guys think.

11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

12. polaris20 macrumors 68020

That sounds pretty hot too, to be honest. Mine's running 48c with similar stuff open.

13. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have the same 13" MBP as you (june 2009) and right now just running safari my highest temp is 115F with the fans at the default 2000rpm.

To anyone who has an idle mac laptop that is running at 165F or so... take it in for apple to look at because that isn't right. It shouldn't get that hot. As I said in an earlier post mine only gets hot when it is very busy and so far that is running handbrake. Then I run the fans at 5000 rpm and the temp still gets to 180F.

14. kasakka macrumors 68000

Now I'm at work and the temps seem to hover around 45-47°C (113-116°F), fans 2000 rpm. Same programs open as in my previous post, with lid closed. So I guess that at home the ambient temperature is just that much higher (ventilation isn't very good) and the placement right in front of my TV is most likely not helping either. The machine has been on for about an hour so temps have stabilised.

The lesson here is that just your temps aren't an accurate gauge of whether your computer runs too hot or not but the room temperature is also important.

15. JMFitz190 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I've had my MacBook Pro for just over a year now. It's been running hot for as long as I've had it, I don't know how hot though. What do you use to find out what the temperature is?:confused: