MacBook Pro temp Q +sharing thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, originally I was going to post a thread to see if my temps seemed normal to everyone else, but I decided to kick it up a notch and make it into a sharing thread. So

Lets all share those temps!

I'm going to go off and say here, I am using SMC Fan Control for these readings. I like it, and it seems to be correct most of the time.

Do these temps seem normal?
    Late 2008 MBP, 15"

Around 120* F completely idle (48c)

Hits around 146* F in normal use (web browsing, mail, occasional small app) (63c)

But I routinely get around 196* F (90c!!), when running a VM, or playing a not too intensive game (oh all right, RTC3 for mac if you must know. I just like crashing things when I get bored :D)
    And that 90c is with the fans on full force at 6000 RPM.

Sometimes I can get 180* or so (82c) when running photo applications (Aperture 3). It seems to get this hot whenever the processor levels go above 30% use.

To me, they seem a bit high. I don't really know what to do. I was thinking if they are pretty abnormal to reapply thermal paste on the CPU. Not that hard actually, ive torn the system down completely 5 times, so what the hey!

Feel free to kick in and share your temps. Just make sure to give us a model and what kind of conditions the temp is recorded at.

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Those temps are perfectly fine. They may seem high compared to some other systems, due in part to the thinness of Apple's designs.

The Core 2 and Core i processors are designed to run at 100+C temps. Unless you are experiencing throttling and kernel panics, it is working as designed. Otherwise, there is a problem with the cooling system.

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I did get one graphics card glitch, but nothing before or since. That was running at 90c... Accidentally pressed the button for extreme graphics settings which seemed to be incompatible with my system.