MacBook Pro temperature concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ctl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Ctl macrumors newbie

What's up everyone.

I was born a PC user, just recently I got a new job and I flipped over to the Mac side.

So since my PC days I have been a gamer. My 2 games of choice, Counter Strike Source and WoW.

I just recently bought a new 15" MBP, and I just now got around to putting my 2 games on it. They preform just fine, my only concern is my operating temperature.

I have smcfancontrol and while in game im ranging between 80c - 90c, and that is with my fans around 6k.

This has been on my mind so much now that I have been browsing around for a cooling pad for it.

I would really like to know if I should be worried and if so what should I do?
    Any suggestions on cooling pads?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Those are acceptable temperatures, the CPUs can go up to 105/120°C before shutting down to prevent damage. Remember, this is a small but powerful computing device, and games are CPU intensive, and CPUs draw more power when being used more, and more power generates heat, and that has to go, thus the fans spin faster.
    GGJstudios will post the usual suspects soon.

3. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

You should be okay. Macs won't break fromnheat as they are designed to turn off when they get too hot. And the aluminum casing is designed to draw heat into the metal body and away from the internals of the laptop which is why it gets so got to the touch. As for cooling pads: I think a fan less pad should work fine as there aren't any underside fans on a MBP

4. Ctl thread starter macrumors newbie

I know they do not have any underside fans on the uni-body, but do you feel they would have a positive impact?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

On your wallet yes. On noise level in the room you're gaming in yes. For cooling? Slightly yes. For prolonging the life of your computer? No.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Apple did a sloppy job with thermal paste for the last 2 years, that's why it's unusually hot.
    Then again, my PC laptop has AS5 properly applied and it averages 109C, 130+ peak lol

7. FirstAppel macrumors newbie

My MBP is coming up on one year and sometimes, I can hear the fan running. I also feel it heating up often when using it for long periods of time.

I've thought about getting a fan of some sort. Has anybody here bought a fan for their MBP and what do you think of it?