Macbook pro temperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shlomoreuven, Mar 3, 2015.

1. shlomoreuven macrumors newbie

Renewable powerful computer

MACBOOK PRO 2.8 with GeForce GT 750M

Very high quality machine, I noticed he was very hot near the front of the computer screen, I've included a picture,

I wanted to know if the temperature normal?

I downloaded an app that shows me the temperature

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's normal, that's where the vents are.

No picture showing.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Warmth/hot are subjective, get that app you mentioned and report back. My 2012 rMBP runs in the low 40c temps, where as my Surface Pro 3, runs in the 50c temps. I point this out to show that some computers do tend to run warm

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's worth considering that Apple's MacBooks use the aluminium case to aid cooling - the case itself displaces heat. So although the MacBooks may be very hot to the touch, the CPU itself is running quite cool.

Under 100% CPU usage my 2012 15" MacBook Pro wasn't getting beyond 65-70C, which frankly is brilliant for a quad-core i7 - the equivalent HP/Lenovo (crappy thermal design) with that CPU would hit boiling temperature within a few minutes.

5. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

That area and others on your mac can easily heat up with moderate-heavy usage. What temperature did the app report back?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What are you using it for???

Basic computing it'll run cool

Editing photos running 4 k video etc it may run a bit warm, also running chrome or flash video online can warm them up....

Pegging all your cores and hammering the CPU it'll get really hot as will modern gaming at high levels with effects on.

All computers get hot it is the nature of the beast

7. shlomoreuven thread starter macrumors newbie

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Considering it's running on the nVidia GPU those temps are fine. Close down Final Cut and it'll switch back to the Intel GPU and the heat output will reduce.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

You do know there are 2 threads (at this moment) on the very same subject on the first page of this forum? Both would've told you that the temperatures you are seeing are 100% normal and nothing to worry about. A good ol' search would've brought up a few thousand more threads asking the same question (no I'm not exaggerating).

The computer knows how to take care of itself, if it gets near overheating, it'll shut down on its own to prevent damage. (FYI: that occurs past 105C).

TL;DR: If your computer didn't shut down, it didn't overheat, you're fine.