MacBook Pro....the first two months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hayduke60, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

This is my first Mac, and my first post on this forum. While I learned about computers on a IIe and a IIgs, they belonged to schools and friends, this is the first Apple computer that is truly mine. This little aluminum box has replaced my prehistoric gateway pentium II desktop. I kept that desktop alive way way past it's born on date.
    This beautiful little jewel is pure joy. In the two months of ownership, I've had nothing go wrong. It just plain works. It does what I want with little ado. The learning curve was a little steep, but not too terribly daunting. It's fit and finish are nothing short of amazing. Being a toolmaker by trade, I machine aluminum on an almost daily basis, so I really appreciate the fine workmanship. The little holes for the speaker grills, still to this day amaze me.
    My new Macbook pro has become "my precious" and probably will maintain that status for years to come.

Just thought I'd share.

My name is Tom and I'm now a Mac.

2. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Welcome to the Forum and to the cult known as Apple!!! All kidding aside, their "it just works" slogan was true for me back in Feb '08 when I made the switch. I'm working on getting everyone in my family to switch over which is proving difficult.

Did find one statement interesting: the learning curve was a little steep.....Coming from the Windows world and setting up networks, etc, I found the Mac to just work in that area too. The Windows task of getting everything running smoothly and the way you want it has to be double if not triple the amount of clicks and work, maybe that is just my experience, but I love OS X and how easy and simple it is to navigate and get to work, and work well.

Again, welcome and Happy Apple Macing!!!

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

congratulations. what was the hard part of switching for you? i remember for me it was the up and down arrows for scrolling both being at the bottom of the screen, but that was back when mice didnt have scroll wheels of laptops had the finger gestures. now i never use those arrows.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Congrtas, Tom, and welcome to these boards.

Enjoy your new MBP. Your experience gets better and better with time. ;)

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You may also want to check the guides available from Macworld. They offer some pretty neat tips on how to get the most out of your Mac. I got a couple of those when I did my switch from Windows last year and I found them quite helpful.

Enjoy your new machine!

6. Illicit macrumors 6502

Congratulations!
    Remember to keep it close by and never let it out of your sight...or them darn baggins will steeeeeal it :eek:

7. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Welcome to MacRumors, Enjoy the MacBook Pro. I know I will when my replacement arrives. :)

8. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I remember for me it was using the command key vs using the control key for keyboard shortcuts.

9. Hayduke60 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all, for welcoming me aboard. I've learned quite a bit of good stuff from this board since joining.

I'm not the most computer literate person to begin with. For me the hardest part of switching over was the file system. I couldn't figure out where to put things so they were easy to get to. I don't like a lot of stuff on my desktop so I added a few folders to my dock, that works pretty slick for me. Still have my moments where I steer the arrow into the wrong corner. I have a few of the shortcuts down and really like the trackpad. Looking back, I'm glad that my money was spent on a Macbook Pro instead of the Alienware that I had my eye on.

I got one of those applesacs so my Mac can go with in my backpack, it gets to go more places than my dogs do.....

10. odowd80 macrumors newbie

Much Improved

I got my new UMBP a month ago. It was a replacement for my 1st generation MBP. The improvements are substantial over the older version. The display is great, I really like the glassy finish despite the fact that I've always used matte screens. The blacks are deeper and colors look better, and glare just isn't a problem around the house where I use it. The black keys are easier to read when backlit than the older style silver ones. The audio is a lot better and the speakers play louder. It runs cooler than my old one, but I suspect that is because the default fan speed is 2000 rpm instead of 1000. I'm not sure why people are having a hard time with the trackpad, I haven't had any problems with it. I can't imagine a better laptop, I'll be curious to see what Apple does next.

11. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

i hope you are really enjoying your mac. this is what computing should be like.

12. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be

My story excactely. I agree 100% on all points
    cheers
    P