MacBook Pro Thunderbolt - Display options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DW58, Sep 2, 2011.

1. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

I am about to purchase a new MacBookPro 15" with Thunderbolt. I also plan on purchasing the new 27" Thunderbolt display when available.

What other options are open for use of an external display? Assuming the 27" Thunderbolt display is connected to my MBP via the Thunderbolt port, is there any way a second (non Thunderbolt) external display can be connected to the MBP? I currently have a 19" Dell monitor with VGA connector which could come in handy, is there any way this can be connected and used?

TIA

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

Nope, TB is connected to the Mini-display port. So if you want to connect an other external display, you have to connect it with TB again.

3. DW58 thread starter macrumors regular

DW58

Please excuse this if it sounds to be a stupid question, I'm a complete novice. If Thunderbolt and MiniDisplayPort sockets/plugs are the same size, could a MiniDisplayPort to VGA connector be used off the back of the Thunderbolt Display to connect the VGA display?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No.
    For HDMI, DVI and stuff the GPU has to recognize the adapter and change somethings. It only works directly out to the MBP output.

Thunderbolt supports two Protocols, The Thunderbolt which can piggy back almost any protocol and Displayport 1.1a. Displayport 1.2 supports daisy chaining thus it could be possible Apple's implementation already does too. You could plug in another Monitor with a Displayport input.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

With display port equipped monitors starting at $169 on Newegg I wouldn't sweat it too much.