MacBook Pro: Time Machine and an external USB harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JTToft, Apr 29, 2010.

1. JTToft macrumors 68040

Hi all!

I am currently considering purchasing a MacBook Pro (just about to press 'buy'). But there's just one question I would like to know the answer to first:

If I use Time Machine with a regular external USB harddrive, how will Time Machine handle it if I plug the harddrive in and out a couple or serveral times a day? You see, I need to move my (future) MacBook around a lot, but I also want to have its data backed up automatically.

Will this solution work OK or will Time Machine "get confused" because of the constant (or frequent) plugging in and plugging out?

- Thanks! :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will not get confused. It will just make a backup the next time you connect it. But don'z disconnect it while a backup is in process.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

It's designed to expect this situation. When you plug it in, it will do a back, and continue once per hour to make a new snapshot.

When not plugged in, it just won't do the backup. It won't complain or cause any errors.

4. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- All right! Thanks. But how will I know if a backup is in progress?
    Please understand that I have never used Time Machine and that this is going to be my first Mac. :)

@slpdLoad: Thanks. That's the answer I expected (and hoped for). I just wanted to make sure. ;)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will show via a TM icon in the Menu Bar, it will circle around if an update is in progress, and if you try to eject the HDD via Finder, it will warn you anyway.

[​IMG]

Mac 101: Time Machine

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]