MacBook Pro - Time Machine - Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3587, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a Time Capsule, but I want to get away from that internal storage... I have a Mac Pro that I am thinking of installing a WD Black 2TB into as a backup drive... Backing up my three internal drives and a MacBook Pro.

I would like to purchase the AirPort Extreme Base Station (Not Time Capsule) and backup my MacBook Pro to my Mac Pro's WD 2TB Internal HD using Time Machine... Would I be able to do this? My Mac Pro is ALWAYS on.

If I can do this, how easy/difficult would the setup be?

Thanks.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Why would you want to buy an Airport Extreme if you have a Time Capsule already?

3. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because it is only a 500GB... Not very big and not very reliable... So I've read.

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Well, you've already got the WiFi base station in the Time Capsule... just seems a bit unnecessary to buy an AirPort Extreme to get the same functionality that you already have... that is, unless I'm forgetting something (which is actually pretty likely...)

5. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, who's asking the questions here?! LOL

No, I would sell the Time Capsule and just get the Extreme... I would end the use of the internal storage.

6. rtrt, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You can do it, I have mine set up to back up my mac pro and the macbook pro. However I find it much easier to have the second ethernet plugged into a short cord that I can then plug my MBP into, as the speed it 10x faster than wireless.

Only thing is I have to have the wireless on the MBP turned off or it defaults to wireless,which is dirt slow.

Should be a non issue with an internal drive, as mine is an e-sata drive, so an internal would only make things easier.

8. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I was concidering a very similar backup plan for my Mac Pro and iMac. I decided to go for an external back up drive that i can take to work.

The only reasons i didnt want an internal back up drive was because it would be useless if the Mac Pro was stolen, or if there was a fire.