MacBook Pro Time Synchronization

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stressed, Aug 8, 2011.

1. stressed macrumors newbie

I have my new MacBook Pro and I'm wondering how the "Set date and time automatically" update works. I have input a NIST server address that I've used for years in this setting. When exactly does my MacBook Pro synchronize the time? Does it synchronize the time just as soon as it connects to the internet? Does is synchronize the time at certain intervals? There doesn't seem to be a manual synchronize time button like Windows 7 has. Is there a way to manually synchronize the time? Any suggestions would be helpful and I thank you in advance.

2. wegster macrumors 6502

It's an ntp server just like any other time server.
    A quick poke around and I can't confirm where launchd is kicking off ntpd, but it's running, and it's including -g which allows the initial adjustment to be large (normally ntpd won't adjust time more than a certain amount at once), so in the worst case, ntpd is adjusting time at system boot...at which point the system should be more than capable of maintaining reasonable time resolution, but unless overridden in /etc/ntp.conf should default to polling roughly every minute or so.

You can probably use ntpdate via sudo at the command line, but - what's the actual problem you're trying to solve/is there one?

3. stressed thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to make sure my DVR begins and ends at the correct time.