macbook pro tips/advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyam09, Nov 30, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so my dad just emailed his friend who has a friend who works at apple for two MBPs (basic 13" models). i wanted an iPad, but my dad never mentioned it, and when i checked the email, he never mentioned a thing about the ipad :(
    but im not that fanatic over the iPad, i will [probably get it when i go to college?

but the funny thing was we were going to buy it around thanksgiving, but then my dad said we should wait for the next generation. but surprisingly today, he just said that we email his friend and so we did :)...

so its a bit clear that i will be missing out on the next gen of apple (and maybe light peak :darn:) but here is what i plan to do- please add tips and advice please..

so as we all know OSX Lion is due in Summer of '11. i plan to buy an SSD (intel or OCW?) and replace the current HDD with it. then i will install OSX Lion on it. i might fool around with the RAM, but i will leave it alone as the SSD performance is greater than RAM...

anything i missed or should do?

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

idk what your asking for but a simple search would have probably brought up hundreds of threads giving you tips and trix of teh trades

3. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

oh im just asking if my method of SSD is correct and all.. also how easy is it to instal an SSD?

4. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Well, firstly we're not sure Lion might release Summer '11, do we? It's more likely there'll be a developer preview/pre release to devs during WWDC '11 and then Lion will release Winter '11.

Moving on to SSD's AFAIK, the fastest of the crop are currently the OCZ Vertex 2's (Maybe the OWC ones aswell, I wouldnt know). But i've been reading the OCZ forums, and there seems to be an issue with Vertex 2s and MBPs getting kernel panics after they get out of hibernate. If anyone has a Vertex 2, can you chip in with your experiences, please?
    If you are based stateside, OWC would be a good option for an SSD. Don't buy an Intel at the moment, their Generation 3 SSDs are coming soon.

As for how to install an SSD/HDD, its a pretty simple procedure, unless one is a total klutz. Heres one (of many) youtube vids that show you how: Link.