Macbook Pro to add files to Mac G4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchristenson1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bchristenson1 macrumors newbie

My old G4 had no DVD drive and I bought Myst IV, but could not load it. My new MBP uses 10.6.4 and Myst IV does not support anything other than X.3 or 4.
    Can I use my MBP dvd drive to load the game files to my G4? What kind of adaptor would I use? Or, should I just kiss Myst IV goodbye?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Target Disk Mode with the MBP and connect it to the G4 Mac via Firewire.

3. bchristenson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. Being a novice at this I really do not know how to do what you described. Thanks.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What "Mac G4" do you have? Also, spinnerlys gave you three great links to learn about target disk mode.

5. bchristenson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well,
    It's a Power mac G4 column. That is all I know about it. I looked up the info on Target Disk Mode and find I need a special cable. Someone told me I could do this via Ethernet connection between the two. Not sure, but since it is only for a game I am not really thinking of buying the needed adapter cable. Otherwise, all the G4 material I need to transfer I can just do via disc and then sell or give away the old computer. Sure do not need them both.
    Thanks. Nothing seems to be easy with this MacBook Pro. Everything needs new mini cables, etc.
    BC

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

You could also try plugging a patch cable into each machine. I don't know about the powermac, but the newer macs detect and set themselves up on static IPs so that you can transfer information between the two computers that way. It's a good alternative to going out to pick up a FW400 cable...

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The new MacBook Pro has a Firewire 800 port (9-pin), the older G4 PowerMac has a Firewire 400 port (6-pin), thus a 9-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable will do the work and should cost less than 10€ (www.monoprice.com).

Btw, a Firewire "mini" port would be the 4-pin port found on many miniDV cameras, sometimes called "i.Link" on Sony cameras or "DV" on almost all the other ones.
    Firewire 800 and 400 is quite a standard and does not require any other cables than the ones already in existence. The only so-called "mini" port on the "newer" MBPs is the MiniDisplayPort, which was chosen for many reasons, one of them being royalty free (minor part).

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could make a Disc Image of the DVD using Disk Utility on the MacBook Pro. Then get the Disc Image over to the G4 using your method of choice (Firewire Target Disc Mode, Ethernet, Torrent, etc.). Once you have it on the G4 you hopefully should be able to run the installer and install it.

9. bchristenson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

A big thanks

Thank you all for the very fine suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know how it works out. This site is a very fine place to pick the brains of those more computer savvy than myself.