Macbook Pro to Bravia EX400 no sound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matmatoo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. matmatoo macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Today I received (after waiting a MONTH for its delivery) a Sony Bravia EX400 32" TV for my room.

To cut a long story short, I have managed to get the display working well on the TV however since my macbook pro is from 2009, the HDMI cable doesn't carry sound - so I went to a local electronics store and they told me to buy a 3.5mm rignt angled stereo plug to 2 RCA plugs.. one with a white and red plug that goes into a plug for a headphone jack.

So I plugged the plugs in, and went to hear the sound, and it turns out there is STILL NO SOUND coming out of the TV, only the laptop.. =[

I'm not too confident with all these ports on the back of the TV (this is my first TV lol) and so I'm not sure why its not working. I'm using the HDMI 1 plug for my display, can someone tell me why it isnt working?

Thanks heaps in advance!!

Matt

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You will find there are more then one white and red plug on the back of your TV, make sure it is going into the input one. On my Bravia, it is a little bit older (1 year or so) it has a cricke with a arrow in for input and a circle with a arrow out for output. I'm just making sure you go the plugs right I don't mean to be patrinizing, if you find this comment that way.

3. golgo1313 macrumors regular

also, i would read the tv's manual carefully. it could very well be that once the tv detects an hdmi input and switches to it, it is expecting sound to be coming through hdmi as well, and turns off all other inputs. i mean, if i was designing a tv, that's how i would do it. you might have to tell the tv that audio is coming through another input... a cheap tv might not be able to utilize a different input for audio.

i use the kanex hdmi cable which has a usb (for power) and a headphone jack (for audio) for my 2008 macbook pro. it works really well.
    http://www.macyourself.com/2009/10/16/review-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-with-digital-audio/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0031QH1BG

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Hehehe, i take it from the lack of responses i was right :p

5. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

I do this with 2 minis to LCD tv's.

The HDMI port will be assigned a name, like DVD or Input 1.

Look in the rows of red/white/yellow for the same inputs. Or, along with the HDMI port, there may be a set of inputs for each HDMI. Both of mine have these. Another option might be an Apple Optical cable to Toslink. This will plug into the headphone jack and send digital audio to the TV. Use the input port on TV (some have outputs, connect to the correct one) and the audio will always be there.

Then, check the TV Menu - Sound settings and make sure that they are not off and while there, see if there is a setting for audio only over HDMI. Both will cause this to happen.

Lastly, and simple enough, Are you sending the audio back out to a receiver? Or using TV only for audio? Some tvs have a setting for turning off the digital output.

Good luck.