macbook pro to hdmi tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dabills80, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dabills80 macrumors member

i apologize if this has already been poster, but i just got a new 20in hd tv for my dorm room and will be getting a macbook pro when the new ones arrive. i would like to hook up my macbook pro to my tv-what cord will i need?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

DVI-D to HDMI, or if the TV has a DVI-D port, a simple DVI-D to DVI-D cable would work just fine.

TEG

3. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

4. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Here you go! Its cheap and newegg ships quick!

Or HERE!! 6 bucks aint bad ;)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are going to use a Cable Box or Blu-Ray player, you won't want to use the HDMI for your computer, as Blu-Ray requires HDMI's Encryption to operate at maximum resolution. In which case, you will want Apple's DVI->VGA converter and then use a VGA cable to connect to the TV. Otherwise WGR73 is correct in the cable you want.

TEG

6. GUILTIE macrumors regular

I'm looking into this, too. Does it matter if the cable title is HDMI to DVI instead of DVI to HDMI? Also, try to go with HDMI (or DVI) as it will be better quality than VGA, OP.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Electrically, I believe that the DVI->HDMI is the same as HDMI->DVI and the difference is only marketing.

TEG

8. gre9del macrumors newbie

9. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

Agree with the above posters, just get a cheap 20foot cable dvi-d to hdmi on like newegg or something and you're done.

Also, if you want to hook audio, you're going to need more cables.

edit: thinkgeek -> newegg! I got my online retailers confused!

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

True, the Macs don't internally combine the audio like my PC ATI 3870 card + DVI to HDMI adapter does. Sends digital audio over the standard HDMI cable to the 1080P TV like a champ!

But extra cable are a small price to pay to use a Mac. The PC only play games. Everything else is on the Mac.

11. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

i went to radio shack and asked the guy what to get and he told me to buy a VGA/Super VGA monitor replacement cable. Its hooked up to my old compaq (im waiting for the macbook pro update) and it doesnt look too bad. I'm wondering if the chord i bought does in fact give me the best picture.

12. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Well VGA is an analog signal, where as HDMI/DVI is digital...I believe you can usually achieve higher resolutions with monitors that use the latter as well.