Macbook Pro to HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buntyugo, Aug 17, 2011.

1. buntyugo macrumors newbie

I'm trying to hook my Macbook Pro up to my HDTV through HDMI. Currently, I have an HDMI to HDMI cable, but I need a converter to get from my Macbook Pro to the HDMI cable. Does such a converter exist? Is there another way to do this? I've never tried this before, so I'd like to get something that I know will work before I start experimenting.

Also, I bought my Macbook Pro in 2009 if that helps.

2. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

You need a miniDP to HDMI adapter such as this one ,however your MBP doesn't support Audio through miniDP so an adapter like this one would be better suited for you.

I have read post here on MR about the second one that say it works fairly well.

3. cici318 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro to HDMI? Help

I'm also trying to do this. I've got picture, but the sound is still coming out of the speakers of my laptop. Do i need to hook external speakers up or is this simply a setting. I've looked in my preferences but my sound output options are only my internal speakers.

I'm new to all this! Thank you!
    cici

4. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

What MBP do you have? Ony the 2010+ models support sound through MiniDP

5. cici318 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro to HDMI?

ml.sail1 - thanks for the quick response!! . . .but my macbook is a bit older than the newer ones with the miniDP i have the standard VGA (i think) monitor connection. The TV is only approx 4 yrs old Vizio so I'm not sure all the features of it either.

any other advice would be fabulous!
    Cici

6. ml.sail1, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Ok, well VGA cannot carry sound so you will need to connect your MacBook to your TV with an additional cable. somewhere around the VGA input on your TV there should be a 3.5mm audio jack to accompany the VGA in. You will need a male to male cable like this, and I'd reccomend at least a 6 ft cable. And then you plug the other end into you MacBook's audio out.

Here is what I am talking about on your TV.

[​IMG]

7. cici318 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro to HDMI?

Cool beans ml.sail1 you've been super helpful!! I figured I either needed to hook up to external speakers or hook to the tv with another cable.

Thanks much, have a great weekend!
    Cici