Macbook Pro to HDTV inquiry

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drglock, Jul 28, 2009.

1. drglock macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro 17 has the 512mb graphics card and display 1920x1200 resolution. HD. I just recently purchased a few year old DLP Projection HDTV. Supports 1080i and 720p. Has an HDMI input so I wanted to hook my Mac to it via DVI to HDMI connection. I was reading through the Tv manual and in more than one location noticed it say a warning -Do NOT use this for a computer display. Something to that degree.

My question is why. Does anyone know what the consequence would be? I know you can hook a Mac to HDMI input on a TV, but does it have to be an LCD or Plasma TV. This is a newer DLP Projection, but dont know enough about Computer to TV technology to know what "issue" I might cause. Im aware of the difference between computer screens and tv screens but want any input on details of this and if this is a generic warning, or a valid one. Thanks anyone..

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The reason they don't want you to use it for that is because they don't want to support it. Also, HDMI will cease functioning if you switch inputs or turn it off as it breaks the HDCP. To fix this, you will have to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in.

3. drglock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips geo. That does make sense, but my concern is the fact it was written as a Warning with a big ! on it. The way its written is making it look like I'd damage my TV. I'm reluctant to plug this bad boy in now

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

5. drglock thread starter macrumors newbie

...this evening I shall plug :D

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Maybe they think it may cause image burn in with the menu bar never moving?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

While image burn is possible, it is highly unlikely that this is the reason why they don't support it.

8. drglock thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured if anything that would be it. I thought with the TV being DLP Projection it wouldnt suffer burn in but I could be wrong. Everything I've read says that it was immune to this. I will still check it out. I wouldnt use it enough to do burn in persay, but was worried about toasting out something in the TV by hooking an incompatible signal or something.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I have a DLP TV and any time I send it an invalid signal it can't use it just turns off the signal and says "invalid signal".

10. drglock thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked fine geo. Tried it last night. Got a 62" display now :cool: