Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxbabysalasxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I connected my macbook pro to my hdtv, only problem is that as i play a movie i hear no sound from my tv. Im using the red/white cable for sound. what am i doing wrong

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Make sure that the ports you're connected to on the TV correspond to the video input you're using. Make sure the volume on your computer is turned up. Make sure the mute on your TV isn't on. :p

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
dvi and minidisplayport don't output sound. You have to get an audio -> rca cable. If that doesn't work then idk.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
OK, there's no port for a red/white cable connection on the MBP. :eek: What I've done is get a plug for the headphones jack on one end and a RCA plug: yellow (video), red (audio) and white (audio) 3 to 1 on the other end and plug it in to the audio-in on the TV, don't plug in the yellow cable, and you should be good to go...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 5,499

xxbabysalasxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
i have an rca cable but its a 2 in 1 if thats what you want to call it. one end is a plugs into the headphone jack and the other is red/white. Im using an hdmi to dvi cable for video which shows up perfect just no sound from the 2 in 1 hook up. yea i cannot figure this out... I was this setup would work...any suggestions?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
i have an rca cable but its a 2 in 1 if thats what you want to call it. one end is a plugs into the headphone jack and the other is red/white. Im using an hdmi to dvi cable for video which shows up perfect just no sound from the 2 in 1 hook up. yea i cannot figure this out... I was this setup would work...any suggestions?

Check your sound control panel and make sure the selected OUTPUT isn't "built-in Speakers", or the system is muted.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The DVI port of a mac wont transmit any audio data, also HD-TVS have HDMI, RCA, COMPONENT, ETC as different inputs, therefore of you transmit image through HDMI, audio has to come through that HDMI also.
Most HD-TVs have a PC input which also have a mini-jack input, if yours have, just connect your mac to your tv using a DVI -> VGA (HDTVs have VGA instead of DVI) and then connect mini-jack from your laptop to the tv's mini-jack input.
my.php

my.php

my.php

This is the back panel of my HDTV, sorry for the blur...
Notice that just below the VGA port there is a mini-jack plug, indicating that those to inputs go together. RCA goes with RCA (maybe you can get a DVI to RCA (e.g. DVI->VGA->RCA) and then you do can connect it to your HDTV RCA input.?
However if your HDTV does have VGA input thats your best choice, else you can get something like this http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208017358&listingid=36751739&dcaid=17902 then using a DVI -> VGA adapter -> this cable and maybe some extension, you could get it to work with RCA input, however I am not sure if it would work since DVI is digital though i believe it will.
There is also this solution http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-vg...rter-startech-vga-hd/q/loc/101/202289819.html
However I haven't tried it, and i believe is somewhat expensive, but if you use something like that, you can then use an HDMI cable and thats it.

drrohit81

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
hi

hi!
Exactly same poblem like yours!
Help needed asap! Neflix sitting at home!:mad:
reply or email me
Best
Rn

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Use a DVI-VGA adapter (included with prev. gen MBPs) and a VGA cable for the video-in the TV (probably labeled PC input,) then use a two-ended mini-jack (headphone type) for the audio. That should be on the same input circuit for the TV as the PC-input. I just had to do this last night on a Sony HDTV, and it worked.

Also, I set up my laptop display prefs to mirror the display, and then just dimmed my MBP's screen all the way down instead of running in clamshell mode (to keep temps down.) As others have said, make sure to turn the volume up on your laptop. Good luck.

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Help

See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/671498/

Solutions are towards the bottom.

HDMI from a traditional video source (eg cable box) send BOTH audio and video. The MB can only send VIDEO from the hdmi port. The will only recognize AUDIO and VIDEO from HDMI cable, and you cant split it up and do video over hdmi and audio over rca. Swap out your dongle (minidisplay to hdmi) for a minidisplay-vga or to a minidisplay-rca, and then run the audio from the headphone port to the tv with the white/red rca cable.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.