Macbook Pro to HDTV question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesP., Sep 6, 2012.

1. JamesP. macrumors regular

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if you want audio support make sure it works one of the review makes it sound like it doesnt support audio

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

4. TomAndrews macrumors member

I literally bought this exact same product a few weeks ago, it arrived earlier today! Shipping takes a while to the UK (it comes from California), but other than that it works well.

It does support audio - i tested mine earlier (on a early 2011 macbook pro), so don't worry about the other review. It hasn't harmed my Macbook so far, but only time will tell for the future. And it does work with a male-to-male HDMI cable, fits nice and snuggly like a cable should

5. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

I had problems with cables with laptops before which failed and burnt outbatteries etc.
    Genuine question. No need for such a childish reply.

Ok. Thanks, i read those reviews just now. Someone replied to that saying Go into 'System Preferences' and then the sound menu and whatever device you have the other end of the HDMI cable plugged into should be listed. Tell the MacBook to use that device and sound switches over.

So I might give it a try, see how it goes. Thanks :)

----------

Thanks Tom

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, it will work. Apple (as far as I know) does not sell first party HDMI cables. When you shorted out or messed up electronics before were they all first party cables? Has an adapter ever done this to your hardware? Beyond that while you can buy $20 on a cable it's a better idea to spend $5 since they are all the same. Additionally, should you choose, you can buy everything directly from Apple, though economically it's not the best idea. If you're that worried about it you can also buy an apple TV and stream everything from your computer, no direct connecting required.

7. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I was considering Apple TV, but not sure how reliable it would be all the time over an internet connection. I plan on using Photoshop and Ableton through this too so might give it the adapter a go and see how it works out for now.

8. JamesP., Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

just got this working, thanks.

I can duplicate the screen, is their anyway i could have it as extended?

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Uncheck Mirror Displays.

[​IMG]

Best bet is to read the reviews and make your call based on that.