Macbook Pro to HDTV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfditty, Oct 25, 2010.

1. sfditty macrumors regular

Hi, I've never had a MAc before, but I'm considering a Macbook Pro. But I would want to hook it up to my HDTV (through an AV receiver, so I can take advantage of 5.1 sound). I realize it doesn't have HDMI out, but that proprietary Apple TV or Apple Cinema port or whatever it is. Are there any workarounds? And limitations to those workarounds?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You simply need an adapter. The port isn't an apple proprietary thing, it is miniDisplayPort, an industry standard. All you need is a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supports audio and a standard HDMI cable.

3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-DisplayPort-Converter-Unibody-MacBook/dp/B003JV3XZ6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

I have no experience what-so-ever with this brand, but it looks like what you want. The new macbook pros can send audio and video out the display port. The cable I bought from monoprice.com only supported the video. This was fine at the time, but having since upgraded to the latest mbp I miss this ability.

You can also buy a optical audio cable and run it separate as well, but i'd prefer the one hdmi cable out with sound. If anyone knows of a limitation for this menotek adapter over a separate optical audio, please chime in.

It's simple as can be, just connect it and the computer will recognize it and adjust the resolution for the tv.

4. sfditty thread starter macrumors regular

This is great news for me, thanks for replying.

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have the "Moshi" (not sure on the spelling) adapter that they sell on Apple.com.

I read some poor reviews on other ones. The "Moshi" one I have works great.

6. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I have the same one and use it all the time with ESPN3, Netflix and all my digital movies that are on my iMac and they work great. Best $30 buck I ever spent.

7. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a