MacBook Pro to Home Cinema

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deezer-D, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Deezer-D macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro that I would like to connect to my home cinema system. I have a Marantz AV amp and I would like to route the sound through it if possible. I assume the best way to connect the MB is to use a DVI to HDMI cable and connect that directly to the free HDMI port on the TV (all the HDMI ports are used on the AV amp) which takes care of the picture but how do I get sound? I take it the DVI to HDMI doesn't carry sound?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    D

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

If your amp has an optical in, get one of these cables: http://www.monoprice.com/products/s...les+-+Optical+Toslink&keyword=toslink to mini

They work great and they're cheap. Just plug it into the headphone port (it has an optical port built in there). Voila, you're set.

3. Deezer-D thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jayhawk11. I have a good quality optical cable already so can you get an adapter that will convert from optical to 3.5mm? I'm in the UK so any suggestions for UK suppliers would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    D

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I don't really know too much about the euro, so you'll have to judge for yourself if the price is right, but here's one I found with a quick google search:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD101.html

That should do the trick. It just snaps on the end of your existing optical cable.

5. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I would think your Marantz would have optical-in (TOSLINK) so just use that, if not, there's not point in using a optical to 3.5mm converter because the end-result would be analogue anyway. Plus you'd need a D-A converter to sit in the middle so use a 3.5mm to phono or something similar.
    As for audio equipment, richersounds is the best/cheapest distributor of mid-range equipment in the UK. Not much hi-end (i'm talking real audiophile gear here) but everything in between at very competitive prices.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

The link I posted is an adapter to use for his existing optical cable so that he can use the optical out on his MBP. Its a Toslink to Toslink mini adapter. I think that would do the trick just fine.

7. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Yeh, it will and i'd imagine that the amp has optical-in.. my point though, was that if it didn't and only accepted analogue signals then to just use a standard 3.5mm to phono lead.

8. Deezer-D thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. The Marantz does have optical and I have an optical cable so all I need the 3.5mm optical digital audio jack adapter to connect the optical cable to the MBP.
    Cheers
    D