Macbook Pro to Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Dec 17, 2007.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a macbook pro intel core duo revision A. It's upgraded with maxed out 2 gigs of ram, and a 160 gb hd. I actually had traded an imac in the same specs for it and I love it. I also have an ibook G4, but it just sits on the shelf.

What I DO like about the MBP:
    -Everything zippy, performed perfectly fine for what I need to do.. (Music production, watching movies, surf the net, email)
    -Looks good, feels good
    -Big screen (though, not necessary for me)

What I DON'T like about the MBP:
    -battery life.. I hate it.. I get less than 3 hours out of it, where with my ibook, I never really even worried about running out of battery.
    -gets too hot

I plan to sell it to get a newer macbook, with maxed out ram. The specs of the macbook will be a lot higher than my current macbook, but will it peform better for what I do?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

It looks like you aren't going to be doing much in the way of graphical stuff, so it can only be an upgrade in all aspects except for the screen size.

Go for it :D

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it should perform better, comparing a 2 ghz processor to a 1.83. but considering what you do, web browsing & movie watching, you might not even notice the difference (though i can't really comment on the music production aspect of your computing).

4. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I downgraded from a cd1 mbp to a sr blackbook.
    I prefer the black one, the heat and electrical shocks from the mbp was horrid.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

...:eek: SUE!

6. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Same here :) I also like how fast it is when I use heavy programs that crashed in Windows (I'm a convert) such as Photoshop and large PDF's etc.

Honestly I've not had this problem with my MBP. The battery lasts for about 5-6 hrs, I'm really happy with that. And mine doesn't get that hot neither. Myabe it's just early days for me as I've only had it about 4 months now lol.

7. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I went from a $3K MBP to a $1500 MB and it's one of the best moves I've ever made. my 17" MBP was just too damn big for me to lug around. my 13" MB is super small and suits all my needs quite nicely.

don't get me wrong, I'm a "bigger is always better" kinda person but not in this case.

8. jameskohn macrumors 6502

13" MacBook PRO, PLEASE!

Interesting thread. I'm waiting for MWSF to see if there's going to be a 13" MBP. I want it to replace my 12" PowerBook, and to use for HD Video editing on the road. (I have a MacPro on my desk.) If there is no 13" MacBook Pro, I was just going to go ahead and order the 15". But now I'm thinking about the tradeoff between performance (specs) and portability between the 15" MBP vs. a 13" MacBook maxed out with 4GB of RAM.

I think I'd be willing to sacrifice the performance for the more convenient form factor. The 13" is absolutely the perfect size for me, and it could run iMovie 08 for AVCHD video editing. A different issue however, is the MacBook's inability to support my 30" Apple Cinema Display. Not that I do it often (ok, ever), but my PowerBook can do it and I really like having that option.

Of course IF Apple uses all of those new 13" LED screens they just bought for a new MBP that would be the best of all possible worlds. So many of us have been waiting for a PRO replacement of our 12" PowerBooks.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I've been hoping for a 12" PowerBook replacement since the Intel switch in Jan 06. I thought it'd come with the MacBook, but it really hasn't. There's still room for a 13" MBP in the line, without the glossy screen, and chunky design.

I hope my two year wait comes to an end at Macworld!

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I feel the exact same way. I'm buying an iMac after Macworld and once I do that, I'm selling my Macbook Pro and getting a new Macbook.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I think the MB is a great machine, and would really fit more MBP users' needs if they gave it a good look. A lot of people seem to go with the MBP because of things like the aluminum, or wanting to be part of the professional line, instead of the consumer line. But if you're not going to use the MBP graphics card and you don't need matte or a larger screen, there's very little reason to go MBP over MB. That said, there are plenty of folks who do use the extras in the MBP. I just think a lot of MBP users go for the P and miss how much of the MB is...well, in the MB.

12. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I use my MB all the time and love it. Since I got the MB I never use my MBP. The MB does everything I need in a smaller portable package. Having said that ...I might be trading my MBP for a ultra portable if it has an LED screen. The only thing I miss about my MBP is the LED screen. ;)

13. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I use a Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.2ghz for music production...

and it does the job, but definitely struggles... I'm going to get a mac pro for strictly production.

i couldnt imagine getting work done smoothly with logic 8 on a macbook.

14. Megatron macrumors regular

One thing not available on the macbooks (yet) is the LED backlit screen. The LED screen on the mbp is gorgeous... :cool: