macbook pro to monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idealcanadian, Aug 23, 2011.

1. idealcanadian macrumors newbie

Hi, I just bought a used macbook pro 15". It is not a new one. It is the old non-unibody from 2008. I think the last one before they switched to the unibody. I would like to hook it up to a monitor. However, I do not know how to do this as this is my first mac. Can someone please explain what cords I need and how to hook it up. Please be very basic in your explanation...

Especially as I am already confused as some websites say I need a mini dvi - dvi other websites say i need a mini display port to dvi and others say that because my computer is older I just need a 29pin dvi male/female extension cable ????????

Please help I am so confused

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well it depends on what your monitor requires, of course, but the connector on the older MBPs is DVI.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

We need to know two things:

1. What type of external monitor port does your MBP actually have?

2. What type of cable does your monitor actually have?

Mini-DVI
    [​IMG]

Mini DisplayPort
    [​IMG]

Standard DVI
    [​IMG]

4. idealcanadian thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook connection for monitor

My macbook pro has the connection that you labeled as - standard dvi (your bottom picture).

The monitor is vga

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You therefore need a DVI to VGA adapter, and a VGA cable that is long enough for your needs.

If you don't mind not having the instant gratification of going to a brick and mortar store, I recommend monoprice.com

This would do nicely:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041903&p_id=2396&seq=1&format=2

with the length of cable you need from this page:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/s...rd=Video+Cables+-+<b>VGA/SVGA</b>&keyword=vga

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

+1 for monoprice.com. Best prices I've seen on just about any kind of adapter, cable, or connector.