Macbook pro to plasma tv????????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d88s, Jan 14, 2010.

1. d88s macrumors newbie

I was wondering if someone could help me with this, there probably already threads somewhere on this but i'm learning how to use this forum still and I need quick help. I've been to future shop and best buy and none of the people know what they're selling me unless this is something VERY new which i doubt. Im trying to put the image of my macbook pro on my panasonic plasma which is also new (summer). They sold me an adapter that fits into a port in the macbook, then on the other end it connects to a 'monitor' cable which they told me would in turn fit into the back of my plasma. There is no monitor port. I've heard about DVI D and hdmi but I'm new to this and just want to know what specific cords/adapters i need. Any help is much appreciated.

2. dankybear macrumors regular

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

when did you purchase your laptop? Do you know if its a uni-body? Do you know if it has a mini display port?

4. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

5. d88s thread starter macrumors newbie

6. amorcito macrumors regular

While on the topic of HDMI, does the newest MBP support audio through the HDMI cable?

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

One has two options for audio optical or usb. The other is usb only. As far as I know the usb audio should do stereo or 5.1 audio depending on the source, so you might as well save a few dollars.

Here is a review for the usb only model:

9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

The first one you listed, that is slightly cheaper than the $49 one only outputs at 2.1 sound.(I initially tried it out and was told 5.1, but tech support was wrong)

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you were able to get 2.1 pass through, then you should be able to get 5.1.

Were you using a DVD with a dolby digital sound track? or were you using a CD or other source which has only a stereo sound track?

These posts sound like user confusion of audio formats or user improperly configuring the pass-through.

If you are connecting the usb only model directly to your TV, then you will be limited to 2 channel audio. You will need to connect it to a receiver with a dolby digital decoder to get 5.1 audio.

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

A few more reviews

13. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Trust me, I know what I am talking about and not some "idiot"

I saw the same post and even talked to the tech support chat. They initially confirmed with me 5.1 sound was supported with the USB audio device. However, I couldn't get it to work in 5.1 mode because on my audio receiver says it is outputting at 2.1. Then, after connecting to tech support again, they said the original tech was wrong, it was 2.1 sound output.

However, once i connected it to the receiver via Optical, it was in 5.1.
    Yes, it was a DVD movie, not a audio cd. I also connected it via to the receiver directly, not to the TV. I am just speaking from experience.

With that new monoprice optical + displayport to HDMI adapter, 5.1 sound should be working.

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

LOL:D

Well thats really is unfornate then. I wonder why those people from the other reviews thought they were getting 5.1 pass through then???

15. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I am not sure honestly, tech support was apologetic that they told me I would get 5.1 with that USB adapter one and sent me a return shipping label for free with no restocking fee.

That wasn't my post either on the monoprice saying it was unable to 5.1 and then being called an idiot :D