Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artisan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi Guys

Trying to connect my Mb to my samsung, picture is quality but can't get any sound. Im using the leads the apple store guru said to use which is the 3.5mm stereo plug, ie red at one end, red and white the other yet cant get any sound at all. Any suggestions? Had a play with the tv settings, didnt help...

Please help

Jay

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Video

What is your setup? MB video gets plugged into___? MB audio gets plugged into___?

This may seem as a little bit of an odd question given that you asked about audio. Are you connecting the video cable directly to a TV or to a media center (ie surround sound). If you are connected directly to the TV, what method are you using? If you are using HDMI, a MB will not transmit audio over the cable, and therefore the TV will not recognize the audio input you are using. This is because most tv/cable devices get the audio from the HDMI cable. If you are going through a media center, double check some things: make sure that you have the cables plugged into the right input jacks, make sure you turned on the center to the right selection (eg, DVD, Cable, Aux...), and make sure the sound is turned all the way up on the MB. Other than that, thats all I can think of... :)

Cheers

Artisan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
HI Crew.

I'm connecting the macbook directly to the tv using a dvi - hdmi cable. Separatly i have a 3.5mm cable which is going from my headphone socket to the red and yellow ports by the hdmi socket on the tv. Are you saying this won't work? sorry technically retarded lol..

thx jay

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Here's the issue, your going into the TV's HDMI input yes? This means when you select the "input" for the TV it's looking for sound + video and only getting video. When in fact you need to split audio and video and on your TV say input 1, 2, 3 etc... only the component + rca audio are split. So the 1/8" mini plug to white/red audio is probably feeding the TV sound, just on a differnt "input" than your HDMI is.

Sucks I know, but it simply won't work because your TV can only be on one "input" selection at a time. (if that makes sense) You plug in HDMI 1 and then your plugging your Red/White audio into a different input, doesn't work as the TV is only taking in ONE input at a time.

Hope that makes some sense.

BTW this is why I wish laptops had HDMI OUT ports on them, one cable, sound + video that would work with large screen LCD's.

Artisan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I think that makes sense or at least i think im with you lol but is there anything i can do then to get sound?

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I think that makes sense or at least i think im with you lol but is there anything i can do then to get sound?

If you connect it trough HDMI you CANNOT get audio signal, no matter what! (unless you spend like $200 that worth the proper converter box)
However most (if not all) HDTV have an VGA input and a minijack input, what you need to do then is to get a DVI-> VGA cable and a minijack->minijack (both sides male minijack) cable.
If you use minijack -> RCA cable it will not work since you are conecting the computer to two separate inputs in the TV (the same you are doing now, in fact I bet if you select the input of your HDTV to RCA1 or RCA2 or RCA3 or howerver is called in your TV you will be able to hear but not see the image, quite the oposite you are experiencing in the HDMI input)

I know it is annoying but is your only choice.
This is a random HDTV
89-112-022-11.jpg

Notice the VGA port and right besides it the minijack input.

Artisan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Thank you so much. Think i now finally get it. Bloody annoying but such is life. I let you know how i get on.

Thx again Jay.

Artisan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Exchanged the leads to dvi - vga and minijack and it was up and running perfectly in minutes. Thankyou guys so much, its really appreciated.

Jay

BlueJayLouchE

macrumors member
Just get a nice little Denon or similar amp with some Warfdale or Dali speakers. TV internal speakers really won't do you justice.

You could splash out and get an optical lead and amp. Personally i'm not a big fan of class 'd' amplification but it's deficiently better than the rubbish speakers they put in TV sets. Mid range Hi-Fi gear will leave it for dead.

So, basically you solve your audio out problem and have a great sound system for your next house party.

You're welcome.

JQMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
We've been talking about doing away with our monthly cable bill and counting on NetFlix (mail and instant) and Hulu for our all of our movie and TV watching needs.

I knew I was going to run into the problem the OP brought up, so I've started looking around a bit for options.

To the people who have taken the VGA for vid + minijack for audio approach - do you see any quality degradation with the video? If so, is it so bad it hurts your "viewing experience"?

Thanks,
Matt

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
If you connect it trough HDMI you CANNOT get audio signal, no matter what! (unless you spend like $200 that worth the proper converter box)

Some TV's will allow you to specify different audio and video inputs. It looks like you already got this figured out, but if you want to use HDMI + minijack audio, you might want to check the documentation for your TV.

skruggie

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2005
I had the same exact problem - fooled around with the settings in my preferences on the tv, it let me associate one of the sets of analog audio jacks with the HDMI input.

Presto, sound coming through the tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.