Macbook Pro to TV....Easiest Way?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Resist, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Trying to find the easiest way to connect my 13" 2010 Macbook Pro to my main TV. It's an 8 year old 61" Samsung DLP and still has great picture quality. It doesn't have HDMI inputs. There are two 720p/1080i inputs but are being used for other devices. It does have a DVI input but then I would need another cable to audio.

I was thinking about HDMI from the MBP to an adapter (cable), to component. And use a component splitter from the TV, either cable or box. I'd like to stick with HDMI out of the MBP incase I upgrade the TV.

Is there any easier way to do this or am I on track?

Oh and my reason for doing all this is because I'm getting ready to drop Netflix due to their 60% price increase coming in September. So I'm looking at other online sources. And I'd rather watch the shows on my big screen TV than directly from my laptop.

2. blackbinary macrumors member

The easiest way in your situation is to go

Display Port -> DVI (which can be found on monoprice for very cheap) for video,

and then use a Male->Male 3.5MM audio cable to cover your audio, using the mbp's headphone jack.

If needed you can then split then 3.5mm to L/R red/white rca.

It's much cheaper and more reliable then trying to get audio and video over one cable.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought about doing it that way but then figured I'd have to buy another cable when I upgrade my TV to one that has HDMI ports. So I'm thinking having it ready now would save me money and time in the long run.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

mDP > HDMI or DVI adapters are >$10 on monoprice.... buy what is easiest now.

I don't think having to add a $10 adapter to your future tv purchase is going to really break the bank ;)

5. blackbinary macrumors member

yep i agree, the small adapter you need is only a few bucks.

EDIT: and even if you needed to buy a HDMI cable, they come as cheap as $6, but you shouldnt pay more than $16.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm leaning towards this:

MDP>HDMI adapter>HDMI cable>Component Adapter>Component splitter>TV

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Why ask a question if you're not going to listen to what people recommend?

The way you're doing it is much more complicated then needed, but even aside from that you're converting down to analog, if it were me I would want the best possible video quality possible, especially when it's only a few dollars here and there.

From monoprice get a MDP>DVI cable and a 3.5mm audio > RCA cable and be done with it, it shouldn't be more than $20. Worry about whatever solution for your next TV when you get it, at absolute worst you'll have to spend another $20.

8. Resist, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I am listening and appreciate all the help, but as I said I don't want to buy more cables later on.

Besides, if I go the DVI route, then I would need to purchase separate DVI cable, unless I can get the adapter with the cable as one piece. And that cable would be of no use to me when I upgrade the TV.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

And if you do it your convoluted way you'll have component splitters and adapters and who knows what else that you won't need for your new TV, that doesn't exist yet.

The way I said will not only get you the best picture, but is the most straight foward(no adapters or converts needed, just two cables). It's also most likely the cheapest at $20. But whatever method you want is what you should do, so...

10. Resist, Jul 17, 2011

And where are you finding the cables I need all for $20? I am assuming that's before tax and shipping.

I just found the Griffin video display adapter. This looks like it will do what I want as it's two products in one. Very promising.

11. DWBurke811, Jul 17, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Nope, I just checked quick and shipped to my zipcode it was a little under $19, which is also under $20. And that was for the "premium" audio cable.

[edit]: And then if/when you get a HDMI TV, the MDP>HDMI adapter and HDMI cable come to a little under $16 shipped. So well under $40 for both set-ups.

With the thing you linked you would still need a DVI cable, and a separate cable for audio??

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

If you are talking about the Griffin Video display adapter, then yes I would still need an HDMI cable, of which I already have a spare.

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

you have a male to female hdmi cable? and you still need something for audio. and your tv has a dvi-d plug, not dvi-i, correct?

but whatever, go with whatever way you want.

14. Resist, Jul 17, 2011

Oh drat, no I don't have an HDMI male to female cable, but there is a short inexpensive adapter for that. Yes my TV is DVI-d. What audio cable were you looking at?

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

omg, go to monoprice.com and get the mDP to DVI adapter for $8, then get a DVI cable for another $8 and be done with it.

why you insist on having 5 adapters and cables is beyond me... you aren't going to save any money....

if you aren't going to listen to us, just buy what you want since that's obviously what you have your mind set on.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

i even say skip the adapter and just get a mdp > dvi cable for $10 or whatever it is, then the audio cable is like another $5.

17. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

FUD. none of the hdmi drama applies to adapters(with a female hdmi plug)

19. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Sneaky. Then you need a male-male HDMI cable.

20. Resist, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Can you please give me the links to the cables you found?

21. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

22. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks! I think I'll order those two cables and give it a try. Sorry for being so difficult.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

The more adapters you use, the shoddier the signal will be, with all that jazz connected it might not even work.