MacBook Pro to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logikism, Aug 11, 2011.

1. logikism macrumors newbie

logikism

i have a macbook pro mid 2009 and i want to hook it up to my big screen.

issues;

no standard monitor plug like some of the newer hdtv's

i also heard that the hdmi converter does not support audio
    (id rather only use one wire. not hdmi & headphone)

Can anyone give me some advice? TIA

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Afaik does HDMI Audio work with all the newer MBP. Apperantely there are some adapters that don't support audio. But you just have to get the right one.
    If it doesn't work than there is not other way but to use two cables. I would go optical audio out in that case if you can.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

you will need a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and a basic hdmi cable for video. for sound, ou will either need to run a cable from the headphone jack, or get one of the fancy adapters that will combine sound from the headphone jack to the hdmi cable.

the problem isnt the adapters for sound, its your computer. the 2009 macbook pro's dont have the hardware in the mini-displayport to transmit audio.

4. logikism thread starter macrumors newbie

logikism

why not? thats dumb! jeesh as much as i like apple i can't stand them!

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

How is it dumb? The hardware wasn't available at the time your computer was made, that's not dumb, that's just reality, and it isn't Apple's fault.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The hardware was avilable but they didn't figure out how to combine everything in the miniDP. They could have used a seperate hdmi port. The GPUs could do all the stuff necessary. It is definitely Apple's fault.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well there you go. AFAIK, no computer with a display port back then had audio support through it, in fact, there were barely any other computers with display port apart from a few lenovos.

That they figured it out later doesn't make it dumb, it's just called progress, and in technology, keeping up with it is harder than trying to outrun a bugatti veyron while wearing snowshoes if you ask me.