Macbook pro today or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nightcat, May 17, 2008.

  1. nightcat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    #1
    I'm planning to buy two laptops - one for work, one for noting/travels etc.

    For the big one I'm definitely going to buy MacBook Pro, for the latter, I may buy MB Air, or EEE PC, not sure yet.

    I need to buy at least one of them pretty soon, cause my current laptop is dying.

    Question is, should I buy it today, or wait for the update. I'm not watching rumors very close, but it seems to me that people are talking about MB Pro major upgrades to happen in July. I would like to avoid buying a soon to be upgraded model, so if the upgrade is going to happen on December, I'll just buy one now, but if it's going to be July, I'd prefer to wait.
    If it's going to be October/September I may simply buy the small one and wait for the big upgrade... ehh :)

    Could you help me making the choice? Do you think the MB Pro update will be soon? Do you think it'll be a major one or just a little faster CPU of GPU (in this case, I don't see reason to wait)..

    I know that my questions sounds like asking for tomorrow lottery numbers, but I only wanted to get a feedback from people who're following the Apple case for longer and understand the Apple world better.
    Thanks
     
  2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    #2
    The MBP may be updated at WWDC.

    It should be a rather extensive overhaul; switching from Santa Rosa to Montevina, and possibly a case redesign.

    I'd wait if I were you. I am.

    That being said, the MBA has little chance of being update anytime soon so it's pretty safe for you to go and pick up one of those.
     
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #3
    People seem to think that almost every Mac is getting an update, and I think it's mostly wishful thinking.

    There's no way Apple is going to release a new Mac Mini design, new MacBook design (that's only 2 years old), new MacBook Pro design, and the new iPhone with slightly redesigned case. Choose the rumours you want to believe in wisely. I've been here for a long time, and I'll tell you right now that there's no way all these updates are coming soon. Everyone is banking on a MacBook update, and some are calling for a MBP update, and people are also sure that a Mac Mini update is coming.

    There haven't been any really credible rumours, leaks, or any mistakes by anyone other than for the iPhone. The iPhone 3G is coming, and I think Mac Minis may also come due to the loooooong delay of updates for that system. What have you seen for the MB, MBP, and Mac Mini? I haven't seen much.
     
  4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

    drummerlondonw3

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I would say that it is pretty safe to go with a MBP and the MBA and not worry that you will get caught out in 60 day upgrade conundrum

    As you can see from my sigs I have the latest MBPs and I would say go for it - amazing machine. IF you get one now you can start enjoying straight away, however if you wait you will have to put up with your old laptop and you may end up 'forcing' yourself to wait for a considerable amount of time.

    Option 1 >> buy 2 of the best laptops in the world and enjoy unrivaled performance and usability

    Option 2 >> wait for (approx) 2 - 6 months for a case redesign and miss out on 2-6 months of solid and excellent 'macness'

    Option 3 >> this is favoured by many (including myself at times) wait for a rediculous amount of time for the upgrade of the upgrade you have been waiting for and what started out as waiting for a couple of months turns into 18 months pretty quickly

    d:apple:
     
  5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

    Scott6666

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    #5
    I bought mine just this month because I was afraid of the redesign!

    The existing MBP is very quiet and very good. Its also in its 4h generation with this design.

    Was concerned about getting a new Rev A MPB given the problems I had with the Rev A MBA. So I got mine now because I know what I'm really getting into.

    You might want to wait unit June 9 to see what is announced because if they do upgrade today's perfect MBA will go on sale from Best Buy and Microcenter so you can save a little if you like the older models.
     
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #6
    Good points. Even if there's a MB or MBP redesign, do you want to buy the 1st version of a new product? My 1st MacBook was so severely flawed. Going from my 12" PowerBook to that thing was a horrible experience. So not only have we not heard much about new aluminium MBs, new MBP designs, Mac Mini designs other than through some viral word-of-mouth thing, but you'd be waiting for something that may not come.


    If you want to buy it now, then get it now. However, if you were a student buying a computer for school in September, I'd tell you to wait.
     
  7. Tommy Tallarico macrumors member

    Tommy Tallarico

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    #7
    It's funny how people keep saying to wait for WWDC for hardware updates when in the last 12 years of WWDC, the only major updates were the PowerMac G5s, the first introduction of the Mac Pro, and the Apple Cinema Displays. 12 years and that's the only major new hardware ever introduced at this event. Do people forget what the "DC" stands for?
     
  8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #8
    I agree with Abstract, if you need it now, get it now. If you do not need it now, wait until you actually need it.
     
  9. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

    MacinDoc

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Location:
    The Great White North
    #9
    Exactly. There will always be new product announcements and updates, usually within 6 months of the last update. But not everyone agrees that newer models are necessarily better. For one thing, some people feel that design changes are not improvements (for example, glossy iMac screens), and furthermore, there have been reliability issues with some substantially redesigned products.
     
  10. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #10
    I don't think that a MacBook Pro will be released at WWDC. I think Apple will update in either July or August.
     
  11. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2008
    #11
    The MBP has a great design now. If updated, I would expect maybe a hi-res screen, hopefully not a tactile, and slight performance upgrades. If they redesign the case then it would probably be more towards a beveled style, but thats still debatable. The waiting game lasts as long as you want it to. Buy a smaller mb air, eee pc, or even a thinkpad x series which is my favorite portable to hold you off until you purchase the mbp.
     
  12. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #12
    If you need a machine now, get it now. Otherwise, wait.

    I would wait till WWDC (they sometimes release products 1-2 weeks before it) and then buy.
     

Share This Page