Macbook Pro too HOT!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSushi, Jan 8, 2010.

1. iSushi macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a month old macbook pro 13" running 10.6.2 and its running at 75-80C! I'm just running itunes, skype, safari. compared to my windows 7 on bootcamp which runs at only 35-40C. any of you guys have experienced like this?

i have checked system preference but cant find any settings to lower my cpu speed. please enlighten me. thank you!

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

4. iSushi thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you cherry su i will try that. btw, i just tried fan control from lobotomo.com and increase fan speed. it's a bit noisy but still the cpu temp is still way too hot for me, around 60-65C! considering its freezing cold here in my place.

btw, what's your usual temp?

5. iSushi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks thewireman but i'd rather wipe my snow leopard partition and use windows 7 completely. :apple:

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Maybe a thermal paste problem? You could try apple to see what they say.

7. iSushi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dozerrox, if it continues to get hotter, i will smother it with arctic silver.

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

if it was a thermal paste problem though, wouldn't it also be running hotter in windows as well?

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Yeah good point, unless the fans run faster in windows by default for some reason...

Was just a suggestion. Probably best to go with Apple if possible anyway.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You know Macs are very sensitive. Maybe yours is a little "hot" because you keep using him/her for Windows 7 :mad:

11. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

my machine runs at 60-65 C during normal usage..i.e., safari with around 6-7 tabs open, iTunes, Preview, Pages.....It goes all the way up to 70-75 in PD5 and running Excel...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It seems like the first thing that people notice after they've bought their Apple notebook is how damned hot they are and then they post about it here.

What's up with that?

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

well my take is that it's basic science. the heat has to go somewhere. so it goes away from the motherboard and to the computer casing. Metal doesn't cool down as fast as plastics. The trick is to place your Mac on a surface so that it can transfer that heat.

14. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Yea, go ahead and try that and let us know how it goes. /insert sarcasm where needed

On a serious note, you laptop will run much much hotter, as you'll have absolutely zero control over your fans.

Like others have mentioned, try smcfancontrol, or even CoolBook.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Penryn(non-unibody) mbp running itunes, adium and safari,wih ical in the background,USB drive plugged in and a second monitor, I'm at 55*C with the fans going at 1500rpm. I'm using fancontrol, when the computer is idle the fans drop to 1000rpm.

16. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

activity monitor

look into Activity Monitor, any suspicious CPU usage ?

Attached Files:

• 11.png
      11.png
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
  17. ae3265 macrumors member

Most of the time I keep my MBP on one of those fan/cooling pads.

It pretty much runs about 49-51 c for average usage.

Compiling & spotlight updates are the most common causes of temp rising in my case.

Also, I find that temp often clues me in if a background program is crashing or something weird is going on. If it isn't mds driving up the temp, then I look at what procs in activity monitor are chewing up CPU. Then I verify nothing is showing up in Console. Once I identify the offender, I fix the problem and things get back to normal.

Oh, antivirus software is some of the worst for driving up CPU. At one time or another everything I've tried has exhibited some sort of issue...clamXav, iAntivirus, Virex, Norton, etc. At home, I don't sweat AV so much, but for professional purposes, a lot of client networks I join require some sort of AV. Right now Norton, set up to autoscan only /Users seems to behave decently.

18. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Fact of life: Macbook Pros run hot. Spend $15-$25 on a good chill pad and your problem is solved. :)

This is the one I use. It's perfect!

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Don't smother it in Arctic Silver 5. If you're going to change the thermal paste on the processor and GPU, please, please only put a little bit. Too much thermal paste is bad.

20. Fat Nips macrumors newbie

Skype makes my Macbook extremely hot, as well. I'm guessing that is the problem.

21. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That doesn't help much unless you set it to show all processes and sort by %CPU

Attached Files:

22. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I don't get when the sarcasm at wiping OS X...

But I've heard other people's fans work fine under windows, which surprised me because I made a post saying the same thing (no control), but also there are programs that work to control fans under Windows.

Its also silly for us to have to install programs to cool down our notebooks, even when everything is working perfect the stock fan settings come on way to late and slow.

23. iSushi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all those that reply. i appreciated u guys. i have come to realized that i shouldn't be caring about cpu temps that much. if time comes that it overheats and broken, i will bring it for repair or a replacement (preferably arrandale) and i'm going to treat this macbook the same way i treated my previous thinkpad. and see how long it will last. until then, im going to enjoy this little beast and not worry about my lap getting warm.

ok, i will try my best to balance my time on windows and osx. but my linux is also asking me spend a few hours too.

24. juniorhifikit macrumors newbie

My MBP 15" 2.2GHz running OS 10.5.7 just died and had the motherboard replaced (Nvidea problem). Now it's REALLY hot all the time and the fan is always on. I don't know what the temperature was before, as it only got hot when watching compressed video so I never checked. But, it's WAY hotter now and sits at 77 degrees celsius with the fan always whirring no matter what I'm doing. Also, my battery went from around 3 hours to less than 20 minutes - maybe because the fan motors are blazing all the time.

Any suggestions?

25. jonpwnz macrumors member

jonpwnz

Take it to your nearest apple store and show the problem to a genius.