Macbook Pro touch bar DAC / digital audio over 3.5mm & USB-C questions

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I've got a Macbook Pro touch bar 13". I've got a DAC with a USB B input.

How can I connect to this with my Macbook Pro?

Either:

1. USB-B to USB-C Adapters like these (not made for audio usage, made for printers)
2. Optical to 3.5mm like this - but my understanding is the new Macbook Pro has removed digital S/PDIF from the 3.5mm jack in the new Macbook Pro's with touch bars...so I can't do this...no idea how to find out if this is true.

So...how the hell can I connect this Macbook Pro to my DAC?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I've got a Macbook Pro touch bar 13". I've got a DAC with a USB B input.

How can I connect to this with my Macbook Pro?

Either:

1. USB-B to USB-C Adapters like these (not made for audio usage, made for printers)
2. Optical to 3.5mm like this - but my understanding is the new Macbook Pro has removed digital S/PDIF from the 3.5mm jack in the new Macbook Pro's with touch bars...so I can't do this...no idea how to find out if this is true.

So...how the hell can I connect this Macbook Pro to my DAC?
A replacement cable should work great, you just need to make sure it's USB 3 rather than USB 2 (which is why they label some of them as "printer/scanner" cables)... that's assuming your DAC uses USB 3. One like this one should work.

Or you can get an adapter for the end of your existing cable like this one.

Or you can get a USB hub like this one. (I've used one of those to connect a MB to a DAC).

Good luck!

Reactions: harryhood

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
This is a USB3 to USB-C cable.

note that the B-connector has an extra row of pins.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Type-C-Charging-U422-003-G2/dp/B01LZPFWJ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1509301236&sr=8-13&keywords=cable+usb-c+usb-b

(example only, buy at your own risk, etc, etc.)

I don't think it will physically fit into a USB-2.0 device.

(The USB-3.0 A connector hides its extra pins inside the connector.)

e473afc2d5e43917d8b396ab5ca0691e.jpg

The SSRX and SSTX signals are associated with Superspeed USB aka USB 3.0.

If you could share the make/model of your audio device, a more definitive answer might be possible.

Reactions: ixxx69

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
He already found those... that was in his first post. If his DAC only needs USB2, then should be fine. If USB3, then needs a USB3 one like I linked to.

This is a USB3 to USB-C cable.

note that the B-connector has an extra row of pins.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Type-C-Charging-U422-003-G2/dp/B01LZPFWJ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1509301236&sr=8-13&keywords=cable+usb-c+usb-b

(example only, buy at your own risk, etc, etc.)

I don't think it will physically fit into a USB-2.0 device.

(The USB-3.0 A connector hides its extra pins inside the connector.)

View attachment 728887

The SSRX and SSTX signals are associated with Superspeed USB aka USB 3.0.

If you could share the make/model of your audio device, a more definitive answer might be possible.
This is a great point, but I'm concerned you buried it inside a lot of tech jargon that is just confusing. The USB3 Type-"B" connector is not backwards compatible with the USB2 Type-B connectors, so if the DAC is USB2 Type B, a USB2 Type B cable is required - USB3 Type B wouldn't work.

So as you suggest, the USB type needs to be identified if going the replacement cable route.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
DAc with USB 3.0 conector:

Dac with USb 2.0 connector:

sometimes the color blue signifies usb 3.0.

Reactions: ixxx69