MacBook Pro Touch Dongle WiFi Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CleanFeed, Nov 23, 2016.

1. CleanFeed macrumors member

CleanFeed

Finally got my new MBP and everything is great except...

Whenever I use my USB-C to USB-A 3.0 adapters my Wi-Fi cuts out. I'm sure I read about this somewhere last week and wondered is anybody else having this issue?

I'm assuming it's cheap dongles? Any work-arounds?

Thanks!

2. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Can you use 5GHz wifi?

Wrap your USB gear in tinfoil to shield it?

3. CleanFeed thread starter macrumors member

CleanFeed

It'd mean having to buy a new router which I'd prefer not to have to. Turns out the problem seems to be with two portable HDD enclosures so I'm assuming it's them and not the actual dongles?

Maybe I'll try the tinfoil trick for now haha, then replace the enclosures later on.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    I'm assuming this is an issue with the new MBP then? But not mine specifically?

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It's a known problem with USB 3 that its signaling can interfere with Wifi. It was a problem in the early days of USB 3 but was mostly resolved by better cabling and shielding on devices. So by now, the actual drive enclosures and what not should be ok.

I'd guess it's probably the USB C->A adapter not being very well shielded. Do you have another computer with USB 3 with USB-A ports on it? If you still see the problem, it's the drives or cables. If not, it's probably the dongle.