Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suade8880

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 13 with Touch ID and just recently had the screen replaced. Everything works as it should now but the Touch ID would no longer read or register any fingerprints. I would rest my finger on the button and it wouldn't do anything. It only turns off and on now. The only thing that was done during the screen replacement was unplugging the button and plugging it back in. I've done a complete system restore, reset SMC and NVRAM to no success. I know the button is tied to the T1 chip but its the original button so what gives? Please help. Thanks ahead.

Edit: I will now gift anyone $20 via Paypal that can come up with the solution.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is only a single connector for the sensor/button. So if it turns the machine on and off that means it's connected. Its possible the plug isn't firmly seated.

Have you tried delete all existing finger prints, turning all the TouchID options off, SMC reset, and then try registering your prints?

suade8880

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
There is only a single connector for the sensor/button. So if it turns the machine on and off that means it's connected. Its possible the plug isn't firmly seated.

Have you tried delete all existing finger prints, turning all the TouchID options off, SMC reset, and then try registering your prints?

Yes only one connector and I have re-plug it in several times to make sure it seated correctly but no success.

Everything has been deleted even did the xartutil --erase-all in the Terminal but still doesn't work. The problem is the button doesn't do anything to scan my finger. I would try to add new finger prints but when it ask to rest my finger on the button that is when it doesn't sense anything nor do anything. Thanks for the help so far!!!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
If you go to settings and try to add another finger, does it let you add it (i.e. it registers your finger print and saves that fingerprint)?

If it does, it is possible that the fingerprint from the initial save just wasn’t a good save initially. I’d try adding a new fingerprint under TouchID settings, and if that doesn’t work I’d suggest going to Apple to have the issue fixed. Odds are nobody here will be able to help beyond that as the TouchId/Power button setup is a fully enclosed system. If the power button works, then TouchID should work.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 13 with Touch ID and just recently had the screen replaced. Everything works as it should now but the Touch ID would no longer read or register any fingerprints. I would rest my finger on the button and it wouldn't do anything. It only turns off and on now. The only thing that was done during the screen replacement was unplugging the button and plugging it back in. I've done a complete system restore, reset SMC and NVRAM to no success. I know the button is tied to the T1 chip but its the original button so what gives? Please help. Thanks ahead.

Edit: I will now gift anyone $20 via Paypal that can come up with the solution.

I would take it back to Apple and tell them that it stopped working right after Apple replaced the screen.

If it isn't under warranty and Apple wants money for the repair, then you need to decided if you want to get it repaired or live with typing in your password.

Reactions: Painter2002

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
If you had the screen replaced, go back to Apple and tell them that since you got the screen replaced it doesn't work.
This exactly. Even if it was an out-of-warranty repair, I believe you have 3 months of warranty on any replacement or repair done by Apple (independently of the original warranty of the product), so a failure that is almost certainly related to this should be fixed for free by Apple. Assuming „recently“ means he had it repaired within the last 3 months.

suade8880

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys but unfortunately Apple couldn't do anything but charge at least $450 for motherboard replacement. I'm guessing that somehow the Touch ID button got damaged during the screen replacement. It's too bad that the motherboard has to replaced as well just for a new button. Apple at their best I guess. :(

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Who actually performed the initial screen replacement?

You don't actually state Apple performed it.....yet you know the button was unplugged and plugged back in once and that was it. How do you know this, unless you replaced the screen yourself??
You have also opened the system and re-plugged the button several times....
Leads me to believe you replaced the screen yourself?

If Apple did, and the button was working fine before the replacement, then its something you should press Apple to rectify as a failure on their part.

If they didn't and the item is out of warranty, they will understandable charge I'm afraid....

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
If the problem begun after some repair, it's their fault.

If this doesn't solve it, probably only Apple can fix it:
https://www.imore.com/how-fix-fingerprint-registration-issues-macbook-pro-touch-id

I had the screen replaced together with the top case/keyboard (which I think created the problem, not the screen replacement). In my case, I couldn't add fingerprints, and after a fresh install, it wouldn't even suggest me to add a fingerprint like it used to. After trying everything possible, the conclusion I made was that the keyboard / top case replacement created an out-of-sync problem with the logic board, and that only Apple could fix it (by, say, replacing the logic board or giving a new unit). In the end, they replaced the logic board (it was under warranty, but I imagine since the problem was caused by their repairs, they would fix it either way).

suade8880

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
If the problem begun after some repair, it's their fault.

If this doesn't solve it, probably only Apple can fix it:
https://www.imore.com/how-fix-fingerprint-registration-issues-macbook-pro-touch-id

I had the screen replaced together with the top case/keyboard (which I think created the problem, not the screen replacement). In my case, I couldn't add fingerprints, and after a fresh install, it wouldn't even suggest me to add a fingerprint like it used to. After trying everything possible, the conclusion I made was that the keyboard / top case replacement created an out-of-sync problem with the logic board, and that only Apple could fix it (by, say, replacing the logic board or giving a new unit). In the end, they replaced the logic board (it was under warranty, but I imagine since the problem was caused by their repairs, they would fix it either way).

Unfortunately, it wasn't repaired by Apple. Since it was out of warranty I had a local shop to do the repair for half of the price. I have already reach out to them about it to no better results. I will have to embrace and live with out Touch ID because there's no way I'm paying $450 plus to get that fixed.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Unfortunately, it wasn't repaired by Apple. Since it was out of warranty I had a local shop to do the repair for half of the price. I have already reach out to them about it to no better results. I will have to embrace and live with out Touch ID because there's no way I'm paying $450 plus to get that fixed.
I'd go back to the local shop and ask for their management/owner. If that doesn't work and you are in the US you could try reaching out to BBB to file a complaint. There is no reason that you should have to pay the repair costs if the repair shop is the one at fault.

Having said that, this is the reason why I will continue to take my MacBook Pro to Apple if I ever have issues. It might cost more, but the repairability of these machines is pretty crappy, and if Apple messes it up on the repair its easier to get it corrected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.