MacBook Pro TouchBar screen overlap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richieios26, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Richieios26 macrumors newbie

BE6215EE-7592-46AB-98C9-A8E6E8D7596F.jpeg Hi all I’ve had this problem for a few months and it’s been nagging away at me. For the life of me I have no idea how I did it but the top of the desktop screen has an overlaying screen. It’s hard to describe so I’ve added a screen shot which hopefully demonstrates my issue. I must have pressed something or dragged something to cause this but I cannot remember what it was or how to fix it.

Kind regards
    Richard

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. Richieios26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I’ve just changed the wallpaper and it’s still there

4. chabig macrumors 603

Darn. That was my best suggestion! Here are some more guesses...

1. Does it look like that in all accounts? If so, it could be a corrupted OS or hardware.
    2. Try changing the display resolution. if it doesn’t change, it’s more likely hardware.
    3. Try eliminating menu bar transparency. That can help distinguish between software or hardware.
    4. What happens if you make a window full screen so the menu bar is hidden?

5. Richieios26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions but still nothing has ridden it! The guest log in had the same screen.
    The only option might have to be a system restore as everything else works fine it’s just this annoying screen layover at the top.
    I’m not sure how to describe it to find a YouTube solution!

6. chabig macrumors 603

Well then I would guess it's either a corrupted graphic resource in the operating system or a hardware problem. You could try one more software trick before you take it in for a screen diagnosis--reinstall macOS. Though an OS reinstall won't alter your data, I strongly recommend making a good backup before doing it, just in case.

Afterthought...there are two more things.

1. Do you have an AppleTV? If you do, Airplay your screen to the TV. Do you see the anomaly there?
    2. What do you see if you take a screenshot (cmd-shift-3)?

7. Richieios26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to give it a few days to check and recheck but by a miracle it has gone, still don’t know how I got it or removed it!
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions my desktop is back to normal and long may it continue that way