Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AKOneRing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
I am contemplating buying a 13 inch Macbook Pro. I am a heavy Windows user and plan to install Windows 7 when it comes out using boot camp. What concerns me most about buying a Macintosh is the touch pad. Is it possible to set up the touch pad to perform as though it had right and left mouse buttons when running OS-X and when running Windows Vista/Windows 7 on a Macbook pro?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes. After installing Windows, pop in your Mac OS X Install Disc and install the drivers. You should then be able to tap or click to touchpad with two fingers to get right click.

AKOneRing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
What about setting it up so that the lower right section of the touchpad acts the same as a right mouse button would in a regular windows computer? I read somewhere that it is possible to set up the touch pad to respond that way?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
What about setting it up so that the lower right section of the touchpad acts the same as a right mouse button would in a regular windows computer? I read somewhere that it is possible to set up the touch pad to respond that way?

I believe that is a Mac OS X option only. But I could be wrong.

AKOneRing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Ah so that option is OS-X only? There is no way to do that in windows?

LTX

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
More recent Synaptics touchpad drivers let you assign tap zones to left/right buttons, but I'm not sure if they will work with Mac touchpads.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Why would you go through all that trouble? Two finger click is so easy and pain free to transition to.

AKOneRing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
I go to all of this trouble because I dearly like having a right mouse button. So no one knows how to assign this touchpad to this action in windows on a mac running parallels?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I think you will still be able to customize the trackpad within parallels, virtual box, vmware, etc...

But I have one question, do you HAVE to use Windows? You really might fall in love with OS X.

theJamie

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Attached an external mouse with a right and left click. It's work fine and that's what I do when I use my MBP on a desk.

JustinJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
Right click in MBP Win7

Wow. Having the bottom right part of the trackpad respond as a right click is fantastic functionality.

This does NOT work in Windowns 7 under Bootcamp. Only the two finger click works. And badly. Plenty of times it doesn't work and you have to fiddle to get it right. Attention Bootcamp: pls fix asap.

camshaft

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
I'm also a windows user who bought a macbook pro 13" 2 weeks ago as my first mac. Just so you know though, running windows 7 64 bit on the new macbook pros isn't exactly common yet. It took me more time than I thought it would to get it running. I was slightly disappointed that the lower right area can't be used as a right click in windows 7, but as the others said the two finger tap doesn't bother me. You definitely need the updated bootcamp drivers for the touchpad to be useable in windows 7 without pulling your hair out. I don't mind using OS X at all now that I've gotten the hang of it. The first day I had it I had to ask my little brother for help just on how to install firefox :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.