Macbook Pro Track Pad Unresponsive of "Fritzing" out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGirl97, Sep 28, 2012.

1. AppleGirl97 macrumors newbie

My 2 year old Mac book Pro got a tiny bit of water on the track pad. So I wiped it off carefully with my sweater sleeve. When I moved my mac into my room and tried to use it again, the track pad was completely unresponsive. So I rebooted and tried again. The track pad then started fritzing. So I left my computer off for the night and went to bed. When I woke up it seemed the problem had worsened. After powering up, I tried to open Firefox, the track pad seemingly fine. Once I opened my homepage (twitter) It started being slower than my fingers on the track pad. After a while of using the slow track pad, it started to move around my screen without me touching it. Then my screen started to shake between my desk top and Firefox. In the middle of switching over its not stuck moving forward and back. Afraid it would break further I manually shut down my computer. I'm starting to freak out because I'm a high school student and I NEED my mac for a huge science project due Monday. Most of my work is already on it!
    Also, I've tried to look up how to get it fixed, but I physically don't know how to open my laptop. My warranty is already void so that wouldn't be a problem
    Does anyone know any other options I have without taking it to the Apple store?
    Or does anyone know how I can open up my mac and take a look at it?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your trackpad is most likely shorted out and dead/dying. There's nothing you can do about it apart from replacing it, which means a trip to the Apple Store. Opening it up to look at it won't do you much good, but all you need is a small screwdriver. Take a look at ifixit.com if you really want to know how.

Use a USB mouse for the time being?

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Honestly speaking, if you're not even sure how to open the laptop, I wouldn't advise poking around in there to see if you can figure it out yourself. That could do more harm than good.

Back up your data and take it to Apple to look at. Actually, regardless of whether or not you take it to Apple right now, BACK UP YOUR DATA. If you're regularly doing school work on it, you need to be making regular backups anyways or you risk losing all your work.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

How is your warranty voided when you haven't even opened it? Do you mean that it just ran out after the first year?

I would just use a mouse for now until your more important school work is done and then take it and get a repair quote.