Macbook Pro Trackpad Button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomrshl, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tomrshl macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an older MBP.

The trackpad button has stopped clicking properly. It clicks if I press it in certain places, but in the centre at the bottom it doesn't work, and this is where I usually have my thumb. The whole button feels slightly different, maybe somehing is stuck in there.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how did they fix it?

I got extended apple care but I'd rather not have to drive to the closest store which is in another city. Also, because it still sort of works, will they just say it is fine? And I changed the RAM recently, which I know will have no effect on the trackpad, but will they try and tell me I've voided my warranty or something?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, I don't have the Applecare/receipt warranty stuff with me, I'm at uni. If I can't sort it out, will they know it is covered just by the serial number?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All they need is the serial number to check your warranty status.

As with the issue itself, I've had my top case replaced before as well for the same issue. It the result of the metal brace under the trackpad button giving in. A self fix for the time being may be possible by folding a piece of paper and putting it underneath the battery were the trackpad button is.

Otherwise warranty will cover it; I only suggest the temporary fix because you may not have time to have it fix being a university student; otherwise have it fixed as soon as you can.