MacBook Pro Trackpad click doesn't work, but tap does.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sepultura, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sepultura macrumors regular

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and the Trackpad doesn't respond to clicks no matter where I press it. It makes the noise, but nothing happens. I checked to see if battery bulge was the culprit but it's perfectly normal.

Thankfully I can use the laptop by tapping and all the gestures still work. Though I do prefer holding down left click to drag instead of the 3 finger tap.

I am in the middle of formatting the drive but I don't think that is going to solve the issue. When booting into recovery I lost all the tap functions and could only move the cursor. I had to use a USB mouse to continue.

2. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

I'm 98% certain you have a battery issue. It is swollen, putting pressure on the trackpad. Test by removing (or in an extreme case, just look at it and you'll see the swelling). Replace the battery and you should be good provided it has not damaged the trackpad.

Source: I just replaced a client's battery for this exact problem. Slightly worse - the trackpad was out of alignment, and almost poking up out of the case.

Oh, heck. I just re-read and saw that you'd already checked for battery bulge. Might want to try removing the battery, though. Could be slightly bulgy but not visually swollen.

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

There is an adjustment screw for the trackpad. Could your trackpad just need re-alignment?