MacBook Pro Trackpad Issue- Clicks only will not scroll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demoxpert, Dec 17, 2010.

1. demoxpert macrumors newbie

15" Macbook Pro 5,1(late 2008)

Hi,
    First post I read the rules and hopefully followed them correctly. Also, searched for this problem but did not find one like it so I hope this is not a repost.

Problem: The trackpad will allow me to click on things(icons, links) and the click will register and open things, but the scrolling will not work at all. I cannot use any type of scrolling(1 finger, 2 finger, etc). I have a magic mouse to get around this but would like to figure out how to fix the trackpad so I can use it when on the road. I bought this Macbook Pro from a guy on craigslist.com(since I am too cheap to buy a new one), he told me that the trackpad did not work and gave me a magic mouse to use. He also stated that he ordered a new trackpad off of ebay and replaced the old one when it originally broke, but the replacement did not work as well. I checked the firmware and it is up to date and also messed with the trackpad settings in every variation but that did not work either. Since I bought it second hand I do not have Applecare to turn it in for a fix, and also do not wish to pay steep cost for someone else to fix it. I was thinking of purchasing a new ribbon cable for it, which I have seen for around 40$, or possibly a complete trackpad package for 80$, just incase the guy I bought it from did not really replace the original one that went out. But, I was wondering if there were any other solutions that did not require me purchasing new hardware for it, which may not even be the problem. Thanks for your time and help in advance.

2. mharpo macrumors newbie

Take the battery out and see if that helps. Sometimes a puffed battery will put pressure on the trackpad and cause problems, though it is usually with clicking.

3. demoxpert thread starter macrumors newbie

Good suggestion as I have read that is the case with many trackpads, but I forgot to mention I have already tried that, so that won't be the solution. Thanks though. Any more ideas?

4. demoxpert thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any more possible solutions to the problem?