Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
my first mac and there are already problems. aside from the drone of the right fan and the lcd hiss (which i'm going to ignore), my trackpad was being weird today. i had been using my laptop for 6 hours straight and have an external mouse plugged in. while surfing the web, my pointer on the screen suddenly started vibrating (similar to when one uses the trackpad and an external mouse at the same time with the two moving in opposite directions). then i try to move my pointer using the trackpad and the webpage in safari starts to zoom as if there were another invisible finger resting on the trackpad. it stayed like this for a few minutes before the trackpad finally worked again. has this happened to anyone else? how do you fix it and is it a software or hardware problem?

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Hasn't happened to me, yet. It doesn't seem like it's a hardware problem, but I could be wrong.

Try going into System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Trackpad tab>and click the box to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is present. That may prevent it from happening again. If it does happen again, then we'll know it's not the external mouse that is causing the issues.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Hasn't happened to me, yet. It doesn't seem like it's a hardware problem, but I could be wrong.

Try going into System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Trackpad tab>and click the box to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is present. That may prevent it from happening again. If it does happen again, then we'll know it's not the external mouse that is causing the issues.

btw i unplugged my external mouse while the trackpad was screwed up and it still didn't work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.