Macbook Pro trackpad mushy clicks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zentenk, Aug 5, 2010.

1. zentenk macrumors member

Recently I noticed that the left click of my trackpad has a much more mushy sensation than before when clicked, and much more so in contrast with the right click.
    I don't click the left button often as I use tap and double tap for click and right click mostly, I use it probably 10 times a day or so. I got my mac 4 months ago. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm scared this might be a precursor to future trackpad problems.

Thanks!

2. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I noticed the mushiness too, and it is bit annoying -- so much so that I have resorted to using taping for clicking... I am curious about what others think.

Thanks,

3. ihugminigeese macrumors newbie

what do you mean by mushiness
    sry if that is a stupid question :)
    just trying to help

4. zentenk thread starter macrumors member

Mushy as in the left click doesn't really "click" anymore, doesn't have that clicky feedback you usually get, rather, the trackpad just goes down with a weak springy feedback instead of a click. The button seems harder to press down than before as well.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

that's interesting...most of the time I just tap it anyways too, but I've still clicked my trackpad quite a bit and haven't had any problems...? interesting

6. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

I can't say that I've had any experience where the track pad does not "click" when pressing, but I have had issues with the secondary click working inconsistently and it will not work from the area the small video in System Prefs. I have to press about a quarter of an inch up from the very bottom right-hand corner.

7. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

What kind of tape do you use? I would prefer to fix the problem at the source. Do you know if you can find the part underneath that produces the click? I tried searching on eBay but am not sure what I'm looking for. It's probably small and doesn't cost a lot (I hope).

8. karohan macrumors 6502

He meant tapping to click/tap to click. You can change it in your system preferences for the trackpad.

9. piguy macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my late 2008 mbp. The trackpad click was getting worse. Finally tracked it down to an expanding battery! Took it to the apple store and the genius replaced the battery for free despite being well out of warranty.

10. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I'm not a huge fan of these buttonless trackpads.

11. motorpsycho macrumors newbie

Me neither. Sorry to derail this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help me, I decided to throw my two cents into this thread because I've been having trackpad problems recently and as this forum probably has a trackpad related thread everyday, I didn't want to needlessly make a new one. So any-hoo, yeah my trackpad is having trouble. It keeps locking up as I continue to scroll around or try to move the cursor. In fact, it's pretty difficult for me to do much. As soon as I start my Mac (I've rebooted it several times), the cursor locks up or stops moving as I continue to try to move it with the trackpad. Clicking isn't always an issue, although it can be. But the trackpad sometimes acts like it has a mind of it's own, it'll start randomly clicking on things on my desktop, sometimes not moving at all, and my hand won't even be on the trackpad.

I've gone into System Preferences on Apple as I've read that it helps and makes navigating around the OS to be easier to disable gestures you hardly use. But it hasn't made much of a difference, as it still locks up. I've been wondering if maybe it was a script in iChat that might have been making it act like this, because my cursor was jumping around as if someone else was controlling my mouse or sharing my screen. For some odd reason, there was also an app that kept opening during login, but I didn't have it enabled to open at Login, so I ended up deleting it for safe measure. It's working a little better now, but I'm curious what you all think this could possibly be. Sometimes as I type, my text starts to disappear, again, as if someone is touching my computer as I use it and pressing a bunch of buttons or messing up my keypad. It works a little better at times when I have the airport disabled, but I'm totally not sure. I'm open to any suggestions as to what could be the cause for this.