MacBook Pro Trackpad Not Registering Clicks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPhone3GCrazed, Jan 22, 2010.

1. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Hi everyone.

This problem has been plaguing me for the past few days and I just cannot figure out why. Heres the issue:

I have a Unibody MacBook Pro (Summer 09) and I'd say my trackpad registers about 25 of every 30 clicks. So sometimes I click something (a link, etc.) and nothing happens but then I click it again and it works. The multi-touch gestures still work as advertised, just the clicks aren't working. I updated all of the stuff that was in the Software Updater and nothing's changed... Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, when I am, for instance, dragging a window, my mouse sometimes drops it without me removing my finger from the trackpad.

EDIT: It seems as though it's a pressure problem, a light click yields less than savory results when clicking and dragging but if I apply more pressure it seems to work fine... Still, it's quite annoying... any ideas?

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I actually had the exact same problem with my late 2008 MBP. The trackpad button just seemed not to respond to every click and while dragging files would randomly drop the files even though the button was still pressed. Took it too the apple store and they replaced the trackpad, all works well now.

3. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Yeah, that's what the guy on the Apple Customer Service line said to do... now I have to back up all my stuff... with no External HD, fantastic...

4. airikpawlee macrumors newbie

me too!

I have been frustrated by the same issue lately.

Please let me know if the folks at the Apple store fix it. I am searching for the nearest store now...

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

this is crazy!

I called applecare regarding the exact same issue earlier today. I'm shipping it out to AppleCare and said they will replace my trackpad. hopefully all will work out

6. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Exact same problem, taking it to a genius in a few days.

7. sshhoott macrumors 6502

sshhoott

trackpad not registring clicks

I think after the installation of the 10.6.2 update, I am suffering the same problems (although this maybe a hardware issue). The trackpad on my Macbook Pro 13 fails to register most of the clicks. It is also quite unresponsive in terms of selecting text or draging anything.

I am not sure if this is a software or a hardware issue. DID YOU GUYS START TO GET THESE TRACKPAD PROBLEMS WHEN YOU INSTALLED THE 10.6.2 UPDATE or did they just randomly appeared unrelated to software?

If I get the trackpad replaced from genius, how long do you think it will last until I need another replacement?

8. jinanmacbookpro macrumors newbie

Has anyone solved these problems?

I am having the same problem-- the trackpad is registering only about 50% of my clicks. I bought the computer in August 2009-- Did you take it to the store, and did they replace it? Or, did they have to send it in?

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Mine seems similar but I honestly wonder how much of this is the placebo effect?

10. fl0w macrumors newbie

Mine suddenly stopped registering clicks yesterday for no apparent reasons. No software or hardware changes. Tapping still works well but clicking the trackpad works like 1/10th of the times.

11. mattgoldey macrumors member

With the low price of external hard drives and the simplicity of Time Machine, there is absolutely no excuse to not have a current backup. Get yourself a HD stat!

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

I sent mine in for this exact issue and they swapped out the topcase. Works perfectly once more :cool:

13. vant macrumors 65816

My gf is having the same issue. We can reproduce it relatively easily. Before she would click really fast and it would register, now you have to click twice as long for the button to register. Mine's fine however.

14. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Had this problem recently. Apple replaced the trackpad. Voilà!

15. JS82189 macrumors regular

this happened on my tap to click on my blackbook.. havent noticed any missed clicks on my trackpad mouse

16. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

This happened to mine too, I had to take it back to the apple store and they replaced the trackpad.

17. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

This has just started happening on my 2009 MBP - it looks like I'll have to get the trackpad replaced under warranty.

Disappointing quality for a trackpad in an otherwise brilliant computer.

18. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i know, i still havent turned my in. I just got used to it. I have the box AppleCare sent me still, just waiting for it to be turned in. I've been slacking it as i've been needing my MBP throughout this Spring semester

19. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

My standard warranty will be expiring soon, so I will be acting fast - and may purchase AppleCare just in case it breaks in another 8 months!

20. Raffo macrumors newbie

I've the same problem, but my warranty is expired... is apple fixing this problem for free?? It seems to be a known issue..

21. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I hope so. My MBP just started to do this same thing last week. I'll be making an appointment today and see what happens… Oh, and my Apple care just expired about a month ago. I'll just say whenever I updated it started to act finicky. :(

22. Raffo macrumors newbie

Please let me know if Apple will change your trackpad. I'm gonna make an appointment for the next week...

23. FcNo macrumors member

hey guys, several months ago i showed my girlfriend this same issue, but she ended up convincing me that i was over analyzing it. Luckily, I came across your post and i was glad to rub this in my gf's face showing her that i wasnt acting crazy or being "techno paranoid" lol. Anyways, I quickly made an apt with the genius' and they have my new top case on the way!
    so yeah for all you guys with the same issue, dont heistate to tell them. get it fixed asap.

P.S. I also showed them the infamous "hiccup" coming from the HDD, but they said that they have no idea what it was even though we all know its not normal and its on its way to destruction!!!

24. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

So I went to the Apple Store and now I'm back to update.

My clicks and drags have been acting weird. I'd double-click a word to highlight a sentence and it would seemingly "let go" of whatever I was dragging or highlighting. It had became a real bother because I would drop files in wrong folders, highlight only half a word or phrase, etc. Generally, just a pain in the butt.

The genius thought it was my settings at first, it wasn't. Then he suggested that I restore it and if it persists he'd get it replaced. I did a restore and still no dice. So I'll be taking it in this evening. Hopefully they can fix it there by it being only a trackpad issue.

25. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

If our factory warranty expired, will they still replace for free?