Macbook Pro Trackpad Wear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jun 18, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I was using my Mac in the sun when I noticed that the edges of the trackpad were noticeably shinier then the rest of the pad. It looked as if it were a part of the thing that is not used much, and it was contrasted against the rest of the trackpad. I use my computer everyday, for maybe 5+ hours with the built-in pad. Do you think that Apple's anti-wear coating has worn off or something? I am kind of worried because the texture of the shiny part is much different then the rest of the pad, which has been used excessively. If I wear through the thing, is it covered by the normal Apple warranty? (I didn't buy the AppleCare plan.

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Def possible that the coating they put on there is wearing off, but I don't think it should be much of an issue considering that the trackpad underneath is textured glass.

Sounds like a wear-and-tear issue. It would be like how the letters on your keyboard wear down over the years.

Unless it affects the utility of the trackpad, I'd consider it aesthetic wear.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

youll never wear out the glass itself so why worry. its just different color b/c of your dirty fingers

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm sure with a determined approach you could get them to cover that under Apple Care. If you're out of Apple Care I imagine that wouldn't be too hard to fix yourself if you are good with that kind of thing. Probably about 300.00 for the parts though...

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Do you have the glass trackpad? Wear is normal for the plastic trackpads but I would expect the glass ones to last longer.

6. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

How long have you been having/using your MBP? And, which model is that? Unibody or the former MBP?
    I think trackpads are differnt between models. For instance my laptop PC has a trackpad which coating is as you describe, cleaner/shinier in the edges and weared in the middle. Trackpad buttons are weared off also, mainly the left one.
    But, ahestestic apart, it works fine.
    I don't honestly know whether wearing is cover under Apple warranty (both "normal" or AppleCare extended).