Macbook Pro trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kranchammer, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Kranchammer macrumors member

Got a 2011 13" Macbook Pro.
    First experience with the multigesture trackpad. It has ROCKED my world.
    I used to hate hate hate laptop scratch/touch/track pads but Apple's multigesture trackpad is just lovely. Tactilely and functionally lovely.
    So, all you trackpad haters out there try Apple's solution, it may change your mind.
    I might just have to get the Magic Trackpad for my iMac now. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Be sure to try Better Touch Tool or MagicPrefs to add more gestures.

3. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

i wouldn't say that the multi-touch gestures made the difference for me it was much more the size and feel that were revolutionary. but for my imac I'm fine with the magic mouse. after all it's magic.

4. euphoria47 macrumors member

It took me a while to get used to not having a dedicated button, I had some accidental gestures, but after 2 weeks, I have become more efficient, I feel that switching applications, rotating pictures, etc. is faster. Only occasionally I accidentally resize the font of all the text in my browser, but its nothing to get worked up over.

5. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

Ah, cool, thanks for the tip.

6. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

That is one piece of Apple kit I do not like. Nothing wrong with the topside, but I have not found a desk surface or mousepad on which the magic mouse will slide as quietly and smoothly as the mouses I am used to.

7. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, not zooming accidentally takes some practice.

8. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I'm still trying to get used to the fact that is so insanely awkward to use secondary click. Especially if you want to go from scrolling (with two fingers) directly to clicking on something, it brings up secondary click menu. And then if you want to right click from there... :mad:

And don't even get me started on highlighting, click and drag.

9. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

I actually haven't noticed that but now when you mentioned it i noticed that too. but nevertheless the magic mouse does the job on my imac and the track pad on my MB infact i don't have a mouse on my laptop besides from the trackpad.

10. euphoria47 macrumors member

if one of your fingers is at the bottom, where the button used to be on older trackpads, you wont have the popup menu. In fact, it may be the root of all your problems. It does matter where your fingers are on the trackpad, which will determine whether you click or secondary-click. Maybe use your thumb to single click and 2 fingers to secondary click.

11. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

I haven't any noticed any awkwardness in this, but then again, that doesn't seem like a common use case for me.

12. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

why don't you change them in the settings. you can make it to register short snaps as clicks.
    settings->trackpad

13. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

This is what I do as well. As a matter of fact, I had a bad habit for the first couple days of habitually resting a finger there, so when I went to left-click, I would accidentally zoom, as my second finger slid across the trackpad. Had to teach myself to lift my right-click finger from the the trackpad first.

14. selvage macrumors member

the touchpad is one of the main reasons im keeping my 13" i5 mac, im a recent converter from windows and all of the laptops ive tried out (hp/samsung) have inferior touchpads.

15. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    see under prefs i set right click on the trackpad - so for me i have a separate left/right clicks on the trackpad -

16. Yellow 13 macrumors member

why not set both to left click?

17. kbright1892 macrumors member

The trackpad impressed me a lot as well. I do have the standard "secondary click" enabled at the bottom right of the trackpad though. I hate using a Win laptop now as all the trackpads suck.

18. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I was annoyed at first but after getting BTT...made the most difference to me :]

19. lurrego macrumors member

About that trackpad, is it normal that the very bottom side of it isn't as responsive as the rest of it? I come from an old HP laptop and I'm used to having my thumb press on the trackpad left-click button and my middle finger does the navigating. This usually tends to make my finger go along the bottom side of trackpads, but sometimes I notice a lag on my MBP. I tested it out a bit and noticed it does indeed lag, as it isn't as responsive as the top portion.

is this normal?

20. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

I am not noticing any lag with mine in any portion of the trackpad.

21. sbbluewater macrumors member

I love the MBP trackpad compared to the ones on my old Windows laptops. I find it to be very responsive.

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

yes, this is by design to make it easier to 'click' using the traditional bottom portion of the touchpad without jiggling the cursor about accidentally.

23. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

Really? I can't, for the life of me, see any difference in tracking speed or cursor acceleration between the bottom of the trackpad and the top.

24. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

place your finger down right near the bottom, perhaps bottom 1/5 or 1/6 even of pad, hold it there for a fraction of a second and then try to move it. It's not 100% consistent, but it's had this behaviour since the first unibody mode kand its no button trackpad. Though only on OS X initially, the windows driver didn't get it till a few revisions later.

once it's actually moving, there is no difference.

25. Kranchammer thread starter macrumors member

Ah, ok, got it.
    Now I can't stop noticing it! :p