Macbook pro trade for air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karkid, Oct 19, 2010.

1. karkid macrumors member

Someone offered me a 2.13GHZ macbook air with the 128GB SSD and 3 years apple care for my 2.4ghz i5 15" pro would you do the trade?

i'm on the fence about doing it though the portability would be nice

2. bella92108 macrumors 68000

It's kinda a toss-up. The value of the two are about the same, the air might even be slightly higher depending on the model of SSD drive in it. Either way, wait until tomorrow to see what comes out before deciding.

It's kinda like asking if you should trade your Lexus Car for a SUV... they're different cars and it's impossible to answer without knowing what your needs are. The Air is a fantastic machine, but most people require specs and ports that it doesn't offer... however, if both meet your needs, the Air is a lot more portable.

To the guy who said "hell no"... don't bother commenting unless you're willing to support your comments. What if this guy is a flight attendant only uses it to surf the web? In that case, an ultraportable would be perfect for him. You shouldn't reply if you don't have something productive to say.

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what is this "portability" everyone keeps mentioning? The air has the same dimensions of a 13" macbook pro, only slightly thinner with half the power and more expensive.

4. karkid thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that well i'm a student and i mainly only use it in class, as i have a i7 980x desktop at home. Notes and Youtube mainly thats about it

5. bella92108 macrumors 68000

The air is 25% thinner, look again.

If a human lives 80 years on average, then a 20 year old is only slightly older than a newborn baby by your logic. LOL, how's that for a mindfu$%? ;-)

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

If *I* were in your situation and had a desktop at home and just used it for what you put above, I'd have an air in a HEARTBEAT... i just want one system that's my desktop (docked with a 24"\keyboard\mouse)

Either way WAIT till tomorrow. By the rumor mill, you'll be able to get a better system for less cost, but only time will tell. Fortunately it's less than 24 hours. Your MBP will hold it's value anyhow so you can always ebay it if you want the "new air" if it happens..

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I certainly would not. Let's see what is announced tomorrow as that may make for a far more enticing choice.

8. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

This is my position as well. Wait until tomorrow. If a better spec Air or maybe one with a lower selling price is announced then you can decide what to do. Maybe as mentioned you can sell your current MBP and get enough to buy the new Air. Maybe something is announced and you can go to the person who wanted to trade with you and show him the announcement and maybe he will give you his Air plus CASH! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

9. gothamm macrumors 6502a

You are assuming that human life and laptop thickness have similar elements in common. Clearly they do not.

lol, you will have to excuse my analysis. I attend law school, so I am a nit of such analogies.

10. Cat-toy macrumors member

QFT.

Wait till later on today to make a a choice it's a classic case of "he is in the know" Don't get jerked. after today you will have a better understanding of where you stand.