Macbook Pro Trade Up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teknosuicide, Oct 4, 2007.

1. teknosuicide macrumors newbie

I recently bought the Macbook Pro ( about 4 months ago) with the 2.33 Ghz chip and the x1600 Radeon 256RAM video card. I am reading now that there is a new MBPro with the Santa Rosa chip set, 800FSB, GeForce video card, Etc...

My question is... I there any way to trade up?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. teknosuicide thread starter macrumors newbie

What if..

What if something were to happen to it? I am still covered under Applecare. Would they give me the new hardware, try to repair my existing one, or do they stock older hardware on hand for swap outs?

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

they would first try to fix it. if they couldn't fix it, then you'd probably get the new one

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

They will try to repair yours. They have plenty of 2.33 parts around I suspect since the 2.33's are still on the refurb site. They may even send you a replacement 2.33 out of refurb stock if need be. That being said, there are numerous stories about replacements being of the current model, I guess it would depend on the circumstances like if you got a lemon and required numerous repairs...

Bottom line, it depends.

6. Drile macrumors member

If you really want to "trade up", you should just sell it and buy a new one.

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

True.

I just sold my 15'' MBP 2.16 ghz Core Duo/2gb/160gb for more than I bought my brand new, in box 15'' MBP 2.2 ghz/2gb/120gb for (upgraded to 200gb hard drive). Some people really have no clue ;)

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

yeah, eBay is a wonderful thing for such...

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, even most eBay folk aren't that dumb. I found the guy locally on Craigslist.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wow. I thought people were smarter than that on CL.

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

There are stooges everywhere I reckon'.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The only way to "trade up" is to sell your old one and buy a new one. A good way to minimize your costs is to buy from the refurb store when you buy the SR model.

Apple will do as much as they can to repair your unit first. Only if this fails does Apple bother to replace your mbp with a brand new one (and even so, it will not be "brand" new; it will be a refurbed one).

I can see that law school has already taught you that "truth" and "justice" are relative terms;) JK; I would have done the same thing.

PS: I'm still undecided on your new avatar:p

13. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

knowing apple, they'll probably spend $10,000 to build you an old mbp rather than give you a new one and let you take advantage of the system. but seriously.... the chance you'll get a new one is slimmer than kid rock. when i take my 3g ipod back these days (renewing applecare the day before i bring it in....) i still get a 3g.