Macbook Pro Trade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenderbass146, Feb 24, 2013.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I have a friend who is willing to trade me his macbook pro 15" i5 with 330m graphics. I currently have a macbook air 2011 i5 128GB. He would be willing to trade me for it. Do you think this would be a good trade. I use a lot of virtual machines and do light gaming and the ability to add more memory would be helpful. What you think?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It seems ok, but the real question is whether you'd be happy with the trade.

If you'll be happy with it, that's all that matters.

3. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Thats what I am trying to figure out. I bring it to school everyday and the lighter smaller size is really nice, as well as a higher ppi on the air looks good, but the pro's have better screen quality and colors. I can put two hard drives in via an optibay which I already have and the more memory, plus much better graphics...

The only thing holding me back is no airplay mirroring and the size...decisions decisions.

Pro's are virtual machines will run with not issues with 8 GB and no storage restrictions due to being able to add a new hdd.

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Stick with the Air. You will immediately miss the speed of the SSD, unless of course you're willing to throw one in the Pro.

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

There are 3rd party softwares that allow you to use AirPlay Mirroring on devices that Apple did not include. One is called Airparrot and runs on machines with 10.6 Snow Leopard or above.

Then your only downside would be the size, but I have MacBook Pros of all sizes and they are all easy to transport. :) Once you get used to it, you probably will no longer notice the minimal extra weight.

Sounds to me like you really like the idea of the expandability, so I would go for it.

6. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I would immediately through an SSD in it

----------

That is really good to know. That will work with the apple tv even if its not jailbroken?

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It works on an unjailbroken Apple TV. I use works lightly though.

Airparrot kind of sucks. The latency is pretty damn noticeable. Built in Airplay mirroring on ML is pretty good. Watching videos looks great(no lag), but the mouse still moves a little slower then I'd want.

I recommend an app called "beamer" for airplaying videos though. It works awesome.