Macbook Pro - Transporting in Sleep mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zrbecker, Jul 31, 2009.

1. zrbecker macrumors member

Is it safe to transport your laptop in a laptop bag between classes, driving home and so forth, or should I always turn the laptop completely off if I am going to put it in my laptop bag?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I always just sleep it whenever I take mine to work. No issues.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's meant to sleep for a reason. :) It stops all drives/fans from spinning and makes it travel-safe. Don't worry, just close it.

4. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Long as it's safely entered sleep mode before moving it (throbbing white light), it's perfectly safe. All it does is basically keep the RAM charged.

I wouldn't leave it in a bag on sleep mode for too long, mind - if it's the unibody MBP, it continues to eat the battery enough that it'll be flat after a day or so. (One of the unfortunate downsides of the newer model)

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yeah I've been doing this with my mac for years. I never turn the thing off.

6. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

ofcourse what would be the point of sleep then:confused:

7. AMessy macrumors member

I've transported my powerbook for a many years in sleep mode and continue to do so with my MBP. Never any problems.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yep, just make sure that it goes into sleep. I had a problem with an application freezing up right before I closed my macbook. I didn't realize that it kept the macbook from sleeping and an hour and a half later i opened it up and the battery was completely drained and it was really hot. No damage done to the macbook, I was just disappointed my battery was dead.

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Yes sleep mode stops everything and just powers the RAM. So its just the same as being off.

Just remember when you put it to sleep it also writes whats on the RAM to the hard drive so 5-10 seconds after you close the screen the hard drive is still writing.

10. zrbecker thread starter macrumors member