Macbook Pro Trash problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hamer69, May 7, 2008.

1. hamer69 macrumors newbie

hamer69

Hi guys! Anyone of you experienced emtying your 'trash', and after doing so, your trash icon still exhibits the 'paper' inside?

2. a4abt macrumors regular

I had this in the past. I just put another file in the trash and empty it again to solve the problem. Maybe restarting the notebook would also do it.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes maybe restarting might fix it.

if you open the trash, are the files in there locked (can check by getting info). this often peeves me off, but you can force everything to trash by hitting "secure empty trash: (below the empty trash menu bar)

4. hamer69 thread starter macrumors newbie

hamer69

Errmm..tried it all. "Emptying trash securely", reboot, putting a file in it and delete, still when I "open" the Trash content, it's empty, but underneath it says, "1 file". It's not a big probem(I hope!) But it's annoying to have it like that. Hope it's not a virus!!!! Aarrgh..Anyway thanks guys,..if y'all have any clues to this pls share,.ok :D

5. puke macrumors regular

Might be that youve had a portable device (FAT32)-external harddrive connected and you deleted something directly off of it that was previously from a Windows-system... In that case you ned to connect the External to a Windows-machine and delete the files from it then and then put it back into the Macbook Pro and then the files from Trash should be gone.

I had this problem for 3 days, didnt know what to do, I called Apple support, they couldnt help me, so I called a friend and he just told me to do that and it worked flawlessly.

Hope you find a solution

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

hold the option key when you press "empty trash"?

7. hamer69 thread starter macrumors newbie

hamer69

8. hamer69 thread starter macrumors newbie

hamer69

Yup, I think so. It could be this..cos I remembered I did use an external drive one time before this problem came up. Ok here goes!! THANKS!!!;)

9. ariellaab macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

only none of the above solutions worked.

Had this trouble once before, read something about writing commands into the console utility, it worked last time, can't find what to write again.
    anyone heard of this?

10. Colonel Abitbol macrumors newbie

Open terminal then

sudo rm -rf /Users/username/.Trash

Be very careful if you're not familiar with command line that there is no space between the / otherwise you will delete the whole system.

11. ariellaab macrumors newbie

Thanks

yep, that was it. Managed not to delete my whole system, thx.