MacBook Pro Trash Wont Empty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DancinAshley, May 29, 2011.

1. DancinAshley macrumors newbie

Today while running other applications, I right clicked the trash bin to empty it. 10 hrs later, finder is still running the "Trash is being empty" window. I can't access my trash bin because of this, I also can't restart my Mac, or even force quit this window or anything.

The only option I can think of that might work is if I can restart it, since whenever I try to restart it I get a message that says I can't shut it down because Finder is running an application, the only way I can figure out how to shut down my Mac is to wait for the battery to die.

Thanks to anyone that can provide any help. :apple:

2. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Press and hold the power button to force it the power down. Restart and run repair permissions using the original installation disc, and from disc utilities. Then try secure empty trash to ear the bin. If this persists, contact Apple for further help. You might even want to do a back up and then a clean install of OSX.

Cheers, Macjim.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Hold the power button for 10 seconds and it will shut off. Then turn it back on, and when you get to the Finder, right click on the trash can and select "Secure Empty Trash". That will always take care of any file permissions.

4. DancinAshley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton! I did this, and everything is working as it should, and I've not run into any problems with my trash bin. :)

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Dictionary Definitions
    Power-button: Often neglected button that when held for a while can cure almost all ailments.