Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesarlew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Hi!
So I´m new here. Currently living in Chile and having Mac trouble, and unfortunately there is very limited knowledge of Macs here (and of course, no Apple stores).

I have a MacBook Pro from 2012.

This morning I tried turning my laptop on and it booted up to where the grey bar was about 3/4 of the way complete and then it went black. When I shut the laptop, the light on the front was still on. I had it plugged into my charger so I don´t think it´s a battery issue. Yesterday it seemed to overheat, the fans were going for quite a while so I left it alone but kept it turned on. I shut it off and the end of the day as I always do. Tried booting up about four times and each time it went black. I also tried holding down Command R and using Disk Repair, that didn´t work. I have limited knowledge of Macs but unfortunately being abroad I´m pretty much on my own in fixing this thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I also recently replaced the hard drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you boot into "safe mode"?

Power down, all the way off.
Push the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the shift key, and keep holding it as the Mac boots.
Does this work?

Do you still have the old drive?
Do you have an external enclosure (or USB/SATA dock or dongle adapter) that you can put it into?
Have you tried booting the Mac that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.