Macbook Pro turns off when charger moves?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltimaLink, Apr 25, 2011.

1. UltimaLink macrumors regular

I bought this 13" Macbook pro on christmas, so it is the 2010 version. Recently, when I move it with the charger in it, it seems to jerk the charger a bit and it turns off. Then the charger won't charge unless I unplug it and plug it back in, I'm going to assume it's a problem with the charger, but I'm not sure.

The port on my macbook has a few black spots, is this bad?

Picture (Taken with iPhone, sorry for horrible quality)
    [​IMG]

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lighting would be the most important thing when taking a photograph. The Magsafe Port on my Macbook is filthy but it still works. I do not have any black marks though.

3. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that, I'll retake it tomorrow when I have correct lighting (The room I'm in right now doesn't have much lighting, only a small desk lamp)

Ok, any ideas though?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Grime and other materials do get into the charging port quite easily. You would need another adapter for a much more thorough assessment beyond your current one.

5. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

All right, I'll head to best buy tomorrow and get another one and see if it does the same, then.

If it does, then will I have to send it into apple?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If they have in-store models, maybe you can convince (or sneak) an employee to let you test your notebook with the secured adapters.

Otherwise you might be looking at a logic board replacement in the worst case.

7. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Darn, hoping this isn't the case then.

I'll take it in tomorrow then.

8. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the computer actually turns off when knocked I am inclined to think it is a logic board problem. Your under warranty so they will fix it for you though.